Regular Advisor

Java(tm) Virtual Machine Problem

Hello there,

When I installed some application, I ran the command as the below:

./setup_XXXX_LINUX.bin

Initializing InstallShield Wizard...

Preparing Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
..<<--(a lot more dots)

it quit after few seconds. I don't know what's happened during that period. Do anyone have the idea?
The application is fine to install another HP server.

Any help would be great
Alex
2 REPLIES 2
Achilles_2
Regular Advisor

Re: Java(tm) Virtual Machine Problem

Also I found the error, "ProductException: (error code = 601; message="JVM not found")"?

Would anyone know how I can resolve this error. Here is a large excerpt of the debug output I was able to capture.

(May 29, 2007 2:55:32 PM), Setup.product.install, com.installshield.product.actions.UninstallerJVMResolution, err, unable to prompt user for JVM replacement -- cannot copy/install JVM
(May 29, 2007 2:55:32 PM), Setup.product.install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer, err, ProductException: (error code = 601; message="JVM not found")
STACK_TRACE: 8
ProductException: (error code = 601; message="JVM not found")
at com.installshield.product.actions.JVMResolution.install(JVMResolution.java:166)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.checkUninstallerJVMResolution(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4561)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4346)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3590)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

Re: Java(tm) Virtual Machine Problem

I think when you execute setup_XXXX_LINUX.bin, it untars the 'real' java bits in the current working directory and then tries to execute a script to move stuff around. I don't think it has to connect back to Java.com, but it might attempt to. You may need to setup a proxy if behind a firewall.

I would make sure I had enough space in the current working directory and that it wasn't an NFS mount.

Running the setup through strace could reveal what is failing and whether any files are being created or attempted.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?