Operating System - Linux
1748126 Members
3213 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

KDE Annoyances - or - Who says GUIs are user friendly?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

KDE Annoyances - or - Who says GUIs are user friendly?

Hi,

every time I'm forced to reconcile with some pretentious GUI or display manager I have been asking myself, how on earth the desception of Windows-like systems being anything more user friendly than the command line could have inculcated.

I've been wasting now the last hour to find out how to stop KDE from mounting any movable media (viz. an inserted CDROM) uncalled for.

I chkconfig listed every service with on:5 to deduce from a daemon's name if it could possibly be the concealed background mounter.
Of course the first choice was deactivation of any automounters.
But that didn't change a thing.
Then I sifted to all the config stuff below $HOME/.kde, but didn't find anything appropiate.
Then I wanted to read the KDE docs,
only to find out that they required the additional installation of the DocBook stuff.
That didn't get me any further as the ruddy XML parser wouldn't swallow the docbook files.

Before I now subscribe to any KDE user mailing list, only to find out such a rediculously trivial matter as how to supress automounting of media, I thought that you Linux forummers might already know.

Forgot to mention that the KDE crap comes from the preconfiguration of the Fedora Core 4 installer.

Cheers
Ralph
Madness, thy name is system administration
2 REPLIES 2
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: KDE Annoyances - or - Who says GUIs are user friendly?

make sure you do not have automount program running. second check 'man autofs' to find out how to disable a particular CD getting mounted automatically.

Next, there is a autorun program which gets kicked off automatically during KDE startup. This specification is available in $HOME/.kde/Autorun.desktop

move the file out of that place and restart your KDE and see whether you are safe.

Hope this helps,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Re: KDE Annoyances - or - Who says GUIs are user friendly?

Hi Gopi,

sorry for my balated response.

In fact I already had had a look beneath $HOME/.kde to have discovered the autorun stuff.
But wasn't quite sure if this were the right place.

Now I killed autorun, who was the culprit for auto mounting media, and hid the Autorun stuff

# ls -al ~grothe/.kde/Autostart/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 grothe saz 120 Oct 11 12:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 grothe saz 272 Sep 26 10:23 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 grothe saz 1605 Sep 26 10:23 .directory
-rw-r--r-- 1 grothe saz 4837 Sep 26 10:05 .moved.Autorun.desktop

# ps -fp $(pgrep autorun)
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
grothe 3208 3161 0 09:19 ? 00:00:24 /usr/bin/autorun -l --interval=1000 --cdplayer=/usr/bin/kscd

# chkconfig --list|grep -c autorun

# pkill autorun

When I now insert media nothing gets mounted on its own.

Cheers
Ralph
Madness, thy name is system administration