108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kernel config help with rh 8.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Loe
Occasional Contributor

Kernel config help with rh 8.0

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of someones kernel config file. Because I'm updating my kernel from 2.4.18-14 to 2.4.20 and I don't know all of the options I should pick. I've tried a couple of times to do it my self but my sound, dvd/cdrw, and usb won't work. I've looked for the current config on my system but i can't find it. If you could send me your config, or tell me of a place I could get a config for my ze1250 it would really be a big help. I'm using red hat 8.0 if it matters.
Thanks,
Jeremy Loe
8 REPLIES 8
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The 2.4.20 kernel config I use for a ze4100 with ACPI and software suspend is at

http://www.cybersym.com/pages/linux-ze4100.html

along with patch details, etc.

Bruce
Jeremy Loe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bruce, I'm going to try it as soon as possible. Again thanks a ton.
thanks,
Jeremy loe
Jeremy Loe
Occasional Contributor

I'm having one problem with my kernel. when i boot it up, heres what it gives me.
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on none, or too many mounted file systems.
netfs: Mounting other filesystems: failed

this was pulled from my /var/log/boot.log

if you know what i should do it would be a great help. Other than that everything works, So thanks.

thanks,
Jeremy loe
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Looks like when it issued the 'mount -a' to mount all file-systems, something wasn't quite right.

Check your /etc/fstab to find out what mounts occur during boot-up (those lines without 'noauto' on them), and verify that the FS-Type (3rd column) is correct for the file system (first column).

You might have some lines that start with 'LABEL=', these point to an efs2 label marker. You'll need to use the 'e2label' program to find out which filesystems these actually point too.
One long-haired git at your service...
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Jeremy,

Stuart definitely has the right idea. In addition, you might want to run make xconfig in your kernel source directory, and look at what filesystems are enabled. I tend to be a bit conservative about what filesystems I enable on a notebook. Since you got the original config from me, it's quite possible that a filesystem you need isn't currently enabled in the config.

Bruce
Jeremy Loe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys i'll check that out.
thanks,
Jeremy Loe
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi,
easiest way is to check /proc/filesytems. if the file system you are talking is listed there, then the support is there. else, you may need to recompile your kernel.
hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Jeremy Loe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I'll check that out to.
thanks,
jeremy loe