108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kernel messages!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leandro Sales
Advisor

Kernel messages!

Hi. I configured to NICs on a linux box, until now everything was working fine, but now, I can't connect to this host via telnet, ssh, and so on. Ping also doesn't work! In the message log I got many of the following messages from diferents hosts:

Sep 24:36:41 vincent kernel: martian source 200.133.126.255 from 200.133.126.139, on dev eth1
Sep 24:36:41 vincent kernel: ll header: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:e0:4c:39:06:13:08:00

The strange is because everything was working fine, but all of sudden nothing is working.
3 REPLIES 3
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor

Can you access (ping, telnet, ssh) other system FROM this server? If so, take a look at xinetd and see if it is still running and if the services in /etc/xinetd.d are turned on.

If not, you probably have some kind of networking issue. Try to ping the routers first, make sure the default route is correct. Post the output of ifconfig and netstat -nr here if you're still having problems.
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor
Solution

You are receiving a network package that your box doesn't understand. Therefor it is 'martian'.
There is probably sending back some wrong address resolving information.
Try locating this other box (the IP is in the kernel messages 'source') and investigate if there is something misconfigured on it.
Leandro Sales
Advisor

Thanks! I reconfigured all the information necessary.