1748151 Members
3311 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Keyboard doesnot work for windows

iamthestar
Advisor

Keyboard doesnot work for windows

I have a PS/2 keyboard, which works fine for all linux based operating systems(suse, fedora, solaris) but not in windows. when i put the windows cd(2k,2k3 or xp) it boots and ask to press any key to boot from CD, when i press space bar the system boots from CD(means keyboard is working) while its loading all the drivers i can see the keyboard NUM LOCK button LED is working, i can switch it on and off by pressing NUM LOCK key, after that it says, starting windows installation, here the keyboard hangs, now i cant switch the num lock on or off, LED keep glowing. NOTE:windows 98 i can load.
7 REPLIES 7
iamthestar
Advisor

Re: Keyboard doesnot work for windows

I am trying to install windows because, previously i had windows 2000 professional, but the keyboard was notworking after system gets to the login screen. i thaught it might be the case of boot sector virus so i formatted the HDD and installed the fedora and its working fine, but windows has the above mentioned problem.
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Mudasir:
I guess we didn't help much in your earlier thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=981509
Welllll, have you tried this:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Device Manager tab [view devices by type] > (-)Keyboard > click twice on the keyboard listed > update driver.
Let us know.
Tom
Learn From History
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
which kind of keyborad you have? Do you have the corresponding drivers installed?
HTH,
Art
iamthestar
Advisor

At present i dont have operating system on it, so no control panel tom. am not able to install the OS itself, how can i install keyboard drivers. USB keyboard works fine, PS/2 works under linux not Microsoft.
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Mudasir:
Sorry that didn't help. If you are a points assigner, maybe others will join in ;-)
Tom
Learn From History
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Mudasir:

Do you have a Windows boot floppy? If not can you download one from www.bootdisk.com and see if the keyboard works in that environment. Also, let us know what your system model or motherboard model is.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I'm confident that you're mis-interpreting the symptom(s). The computer is hanging/locking up, which makes it appear that the keyboard has failed. You probably need a BIOS upgrade. Give us your system info, please.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
iamthestar
Advisor

some one told me that i need to update the BIOS, but i am scared(that will screw the main Board itself), The purchased the USB keyboard and it is working fine. Thanks you for all of your support.