1752866 Members
3431 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Keyboard of laptop computer OmniBook XE3

Cheng Luo
Advisor

Keyboard of laptop computer OmniBook XE3

My keyboard was replaced in UK becasue 3 keys "h" "g" and "cancel key" did not take every now and then, but funny thing is that it happened again after a few month replaced, nowadays seemly happen more and more often. I know it is not te problem of te keyboard at all, it is some where lose contact, I need to disccuss with professional persons, then I may ask some computer guy try to fix it. Can someone point out exact problem, and way to solve. Thanks! Cheng
hyva
9 REPLIES 9

Cheng,

I do have the same problem. Escape (Esc) key doesn???t work for my Omini book Notebook and i don't know how to fix it..
It Consultant
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x3d056049dbb6d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Jarrod Robinson

Hi
I am answering this as it is useful to other people searching the web, if you haven't already resolved this issue Cheng then thats a bonus :-)

I too have suffered this problem on an XE3 GF and after trawling the web for info I found someone who said if you press hard on the Windows key area it stopped the problem for a while and he was right!

See http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/pipermail/omnibook/2003-January/002300.html

I have taken the keyboard off of my laptop and it was no suprise to find the keyboard connector under this area so I removed the connector, cleaned the pins and socket, plugged it back in firmly and have not yet suffered the problem again.

I hope this is of help to anyone suffering this annoying problem.
Cheng Luo
Advisor

April 30, 2003 05:53 AM GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basicaly it did not elp by firmly pressin te Fn and window (te one beside Fn) keys. It is really annoyin problem. ow can I open te keyboard? I am very muc afraid tat can cause damae to oter parts of te computer. you see tis messae lack 2 letters tat I can not et, and my spaceback key could not work eiter.

Coulod you please illustrate more detail for openin keyboard? I like to tell once more te story. my computer was bout 2 years ao, it started tis promblem after 5 mont. ten it was sent to UK for replacin te keyboard. it appen te same problem aain 2 mont after keyboard replaced. so you may know te exact problem.

Tank you very muc!

Cen
hyva
Henry Nguyen_1

Cheng, I think that you'll find the following URL extremely helpful:

http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/

- Henry
Carsten Digel

hi,

i have the same problem since 1 week

sometimes it works sometimes not.

follwing keys dont work (sometimes , often)

"g" "h" "backspace" "esc" "windwos" (windows logo)

what is the solution of the problem?

A) BIOS update
B) open the omnibokk, extract the keyboard, clean the keyboard, replacing the keyboard
C) replacying the "old" keybord with a new one
D) send it to hp

i am thankful for all kind of help
ioannis

Jarrod Robinson wrote:
"I too have suffered this problem on an XE3 GF and after trawling the web for info I found someone who said if you press hard on the Windows key area it stopped the problem for a while and he was right!"

well... it just worked for me! see hhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggg'''''''''''

all these ^^^ plus the Backspace key, where gone.

i pressed, with 3 fingers at the windows key area. not to hard 1/2 to 1 kilo pressure.

thanks man!

ps: they broke again, before the end of this post.

i don't recomend it as a permanent fix.
don't think u r. know u r
Jennifer Crook

I have the same problem described in the above messages. Pressing on the windows key helped temporarily before. Not anymore. I've tried unscrewing and removing the keyboard and pressing firmly on the keyboard connector to restore the connection. This was recommended by the website: http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/
However, I have not tried actually removing the connector, cleaning it, and reconnecting it. I am a little scared that I will damage something. Could anyone walk me through this in a little more detail? The connector is the thing that looks like a piece of tape, right? Do I remove it completely, clean it, and then just "tape" it back on? Are there things to be particularly careful of while doing this?

Thanks for your help.
Jennifer
Jennifer Crook

I just solved the problem. After looking over the website on reconnecting the keyboard connector, it seems that the question is not whether to disconnect the connector (like a piece of film) from the keyboard, where it is stuck in place like tape. Instead, the connector can be unattached at the motherboard. So after doing that and them firmly reattaching the connector, I have solved the problem - at least for the time-being.