5660 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

L1000 System Hanging,

harry_7
Frequent Advisor

L1000 System Hanging,

Hi all,

I have one L1000 - 9000 live machine with 512 MB. 2 weeks ago we have added 1 GB memory on the same. it works for 1 week with normal operation.

Now it is hanging without any errors in the log files, after hanging only u can ping the machine. What ever we have added indtalled in last 2-3 months we have removed from the system. Still it is hanging.

During STM we are not getting any error's

Do we have any bench mark test so I can run the diagnose for 2-3 days and disgnose the problem.
12 REPLIES 12
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: L1000 System Hanging,

Harpreet,

It seems to be a problem with L-class system. Have HP replace your power monitor card and upgrade the PDC to a latest version. We have been having many incidents on L-class systems here and the problems seem to be rectified after replacing the power monitor card.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Have you removed then new memory you added ? Then see if it keeps hanging.

was it HP official memory ? purchased from HP so its the correct polarity and speed.

and installed by an HP engineer ? so the memory was rearranged and the correct SIMMS put in the correct slot.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
harry_7
Frequent Advisor

The machine was running smoothly from last 1 year.

Yes the memory was purchased from HP and also installed by the HP-Engineer.

Thanks for the reply. This is the problem we dont have any fix instance, where it is hanging. We observed when it is hanging.

We are not getting any core files.

1. Backup is running or not.
2. Even the system is idle
3. Even the Oracle is Down
4. Even their is only one user is working, maximum are 50.

What we did till now :

1. Removed the recently installed patches.
2. Removed the additional memory

1. Installed the laest Support Plus bundle CD with latest patches.
2. Replaced the External Storage (JAMAICA) box. (we faced this problem with one customer).
3. Replaced the DDS-3 Tape Drive also.
4. During STM we are not getting any errors

Now the system is in old configuration where it was before 6 months and running smoothly.

Please let me know if you have any bench mark tools.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Harpreet,

We have around 40 L-boxes here with us and we have a project to replace the power monitor cards on all of them due to the similar problem. Give this a try along with the latest PDC.

There was another thread on this problem. She didn't post back the results later though.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,11866,0x97915220af9bd5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

My HP CE gave me an explanation that the power monitor was reporting false alarms to GSP about the fan status thus hanging the system.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

I don't think its the Platform Monitor card. Harpreet mentioned that the machine was pingable, so its not down, just can't do anything other than ping the machine.

Are you able to log in at the console? If so, check that inetd is still running. Also, are current telnet sessions also affected, i.e. are they still able to communicate with the machine?

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
IMcG

Hi,
I had a similar problem with a D-Class upgrade - could not login after an Informix instance was started.
And another where I got silly errors after commands like ls or mail.

Check the kernel parameter eqmemsize.
If it is at the default 15 increase to a value of 280 (I can't remember the formula I used so could be higher).

Regards
IM
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

TOC your system during the dump:
GSP connect TC

On system reboot you'll have a dump.
/var/adm/crash/

and with that hp will be able to identify what caused the hang (don't bother attempting yourself.. it can get quite nasty)

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
harry_7
Frequent Advisor

Dear Santosh,

Only we can ping to the machine. But we are not able to logon to the machine. Also we are not able to logon to the console also.

Regarding Kernal settings. Machine is now in its old state where it was running from the last since one year.

The problem is we are not gtting any core files in crash or some where else.

Regards

Harpreet
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor