New Discussion юеВ

Re: LILO

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yuval_1
Occasional Contributor

LILO

Hi.
I don't know the first thing about linux, I'm very bad with command line and would like to have somekind of graphic interface instead of that LILO.

Is there a way to do that? what should I be looking for?
5 REPLIES 5
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you don't like LILO as your boot manager -you can install GRUB which is newer.
the command to install it:
grub-install /dev/hda

in case you want to install the boot manager on Primary master IDE drive.
If you have more than one Operating system on your hard drive Then I'd suggest you to edit the /etc/grub.conf file .
Yuval_1
Occasional Contributor

I use windows 98 and have Linux installed on a different partition.
I used lilo for a while until it crashed, gave me a hell of a headache, and had my friend come over and fix it. I hardly ever use linux but would like the platform selection be graphic, like PartitionMagic used to offer.

My question is, to be exact, is there a graphic tool to replace / install on top of LILO or grub.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Well, unfortunately, at the boot screen, you can't load graphics drivers or mouse drivers or anything like that because on the PC you only have a very small space in which to fit your program (the bit of lilo that does the booting is tiny). Lilo has to do as little as possible and offer you just enough to get booted. You are therefore really limited in what you can do. I remember Windows NT had a text based boot loader too and I imagine even current Windows OS's do as well.

I have never heard of LILO crashing, I have heard of people re-building a kernel and forgetting to run lilo afterwards but a crash is very unusual
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Actually the very same Partition Magic provides a boot manager that supports (as far as I remember ) Linux also.Use it...
Best regards.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

You better you GRUB, he is good.
And you have grafic configuration tools
in the Gnome & KDE for it.

Caesar