New Discussion юеВ

Re: LOCAL=NO Process owner id

SOLVED
Go to solution
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

LOCAL=NO Process owner id

Guys,

Nice to see u all after a long time. I am little busy these days.

I have a database node here which runs a production database. Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0

To me , the processes like "(LOCAL=NO)" or "(LOCAL=YES)" are the database processes which is responsible for user connections and their queries / commands.

Most of these processes are owned by the oracle owner id "oracle". But some of them , are not. I found "LOCAL=YES PROTOCOL=beq" processes are owned by the user who initiated the sqlplus command.

Is this normal ?. Is there anything to worry about ?.

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
9 REPLIES 9
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Kapil,

Yes. All the remote connections will be shown with LOCAL=NO with oracle as the owner as the connections will be spawned by oracle user. For the local connections, the processes will be owned by the users that ran the sqlplus command.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Thank you Sridhar,

I am not closing the thread as i need to get some more info about this tns , beq and expecting some more expert opinions.

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Kaps,

Try this document meanwhile. I look at this whenever I get doubts on my DBA's explanations. This may be for 8i but concepts are explained well.

http://oracledoc.wccnet.org/oracle8i/solaris.815/a67456/ch5.htm#26799

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Kapil,

The 'Bequeath' protocol adapter is the default Net driver on Oracle7 and Oracle8 releases on UNIX. It has two main purposes:

a) To 'spawn' subprocesses and pass / receive message(s) to / from the spawned process.
b) To provide a default local SQL*Net connection layerthat does NOT require any listener process.

The processes you have are subprocesses spawned by the bequeath protocol adapter. Some would be owner by oracle and the others will be owned by the user which initiated sqlplus with OS authentication.

Local processes are the bequeathed connections, i.e connections made to the database through the local server machine without listener interference.

The attached document from metalink explains beq adapter and how it spawns subprocesses and so on

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Now the real problem ... when dba's create a database they ask me(sysad) to set the ulimit values for data size etc ... now these will need to be set for the individual user'ids as well who uses beq ?

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi kaps,

for your last question, you may wish to add the the ulimit command in the .profile of the users.

see also:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=233595
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=41740
and
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=49882

hope this helps!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi Kaps,

For non local users, the connections will run through SQL*NET / NET8 and spawn process with tns process owner. If the (specific) listener is not started by oracle you will find processes owned by this different users.
This can be usefull when you run different listeners and you want to distinguish them.

for more on IPC and BEQ protocol see Metalink notes :
Note: 29232.1 - IPC Explained
Note: 16653.1 - (2) The Bequeath Protocol Adapter

Once, I measured a BEQ vs a non local connection. The later was using more system resources.

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

If you do not want to adapt the users resources to the Oracle needs, then you'll need to make them go through the listener by connecting @SID-IN-TNS-NAMES instead of just using $ORACLE_SID for the local instance.

As Jean Luc indicates, this will use a little more resources. How much more? Your milage will vary, but since the overhead is strictly in the message passing, is seems ovbious that it will be more noticeable for application with many quick sql queries (singleton selects/inserts) versus applications executig complex joins/bulk updates.

If you do go the listener/tnsnames route, then our experience you want to use IPC for locak connects, not a network stack.

fwiw.
Hein.

KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Thank you all

Kaps
Nothing is impossible