7672 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LUNs presented to HPUX server showing as unclaimed

Arunkumar_3
Advisor

LUNs presented to HPUX server showing as unclaimed

Hi,
I presented a lun from EVA3000 to hpux11.11 server. I am not running any multipath software on that system. Ran ioscan -fn, it is showing the luns presented from that system as unclaimed and unknown.
Presented another lun from eva6000. It is showing as claimed and I am able to see the device in ioscan -fnCdisk.

Any help?
Here with I attached the ioscan -fn output
thanks in advance
-Arun
4 REPLIES 4
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

Re: LUNs presented to HPUX server showing as unclaimed

Arun,

Did you run an insf -e? Sometimes you have to run more then one insf -e & ioscan -fnC disk commands.

What happens when you run spmgr display > spmgr.out? Are the disks that you have assigned to your system from your management appliance there? You can match them up against the World Wide Lun ID.

Andy
Arunkumar_3
Advisor

Andy,
Thanks for the response. I am not running securepath or autopath on this system. I ran ioscan -fnCdisk many times, I ran insf -e, and rebooted the system too. But still it's not seeing those.

regards
-Arun
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

I guess I was under the impression that you needed secure path (or whatever software) installed in order to read your disks in. How would you be able to tell what disk is what otherwise.

Andy

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

You should have SecurePath for your EVA3000, as it is necessary for multipathing to work, since the EVA3000 has active-passive controllers. Do an swlist and double check to see if it is there. HP shouldn't have sold it to you without SecurePath included. SecurePath is not a requirement for the EVA6000 since it has active-active controllers and pvlinks can then work without SecurePath for path failover and you can statically balance the loads between two paths. The pvlinks in HP-UX cannot function correctly with active-passive controllers. You will see a different presentation even with SecurePath between the EVA3000 and EVA6000. I suggest you check the documentation or check with HP to see if there is a good write up of the differences. I think there might be an AutoPath driver in SecurePath that needs to be loaded for it to work with the EVA6000, as I think there are two separate drivers packaged into the SecurePath product. I would suggest that you post this under the Disk Array section, as some of the people who respond there have more detail knowledge of the array, and it is fundamental differences in the array that are the source of the differences.
Mom 6