New Discussion юеВ

Re: LVM in Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Faizer Jameel
Frequent Advisor

LVM in Linux

Dear All
I have used LVM's in HP unix and am very famillair with it, but this is the first time I am using RHEL Linux ES4. I have a blade with 2 146gb disks. I want to set up the LV's as we do in HP Unix.[ /dev/vg00/lvol1, etc] Then I want to have a vg01 with lvol1 lvol2. I want to create a file systems and then mount it.How do I do this and can anyone provide me with the required steps. Please do not refer me to some manual. I am just brand new to Linux.
Thanking you
Faizer
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

pvcreate /dev/sda
vgcreate /dev/sda datavg
lvcreate -L MB -n datavg
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/datavg/datalv
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 -m 0 /dev/datavg/datalv
Modify /etc/fstab.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

is that a good practice to set c or i to zero ,which will disable th FS check?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If you're using a manual install, you have to use the GUI interface to do LVM's easily.

If you're doing a kickstart, you can set the LVM stuff up in your kickstart without any issue.

If it's an already installed system, then basically what Ivan said :)
One long-haired git at your service...
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor
Solution

run system-config-lvm and it will give you LVM gui which is pretty much self explaining. Keep in mind that:

disk devices in Linux are /dev/sdXY (where X is from a to z,Y from 1 to ...) and not like /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ. fdisk -l will show you all your disks/partitions.

So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>> is that a good practice to set c or i to zero ,which will disable th FS check?

For ext3 it is, because the information needed to maintain FS integrity is in the journal.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?