LVM out?

Is it true that the LVM is going out after
11i?
There is always a way
12 REPLIES 12
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

Re: LVM out?

Apparently HP are planning to move to Veritas Volume manager which is the industry standard now (apparently ?).

With current release of HP-UX 11i LVM and VxVM are available side by side although VxVM can't be used for root volumes under PA_RISC.

However at 11i release 1.5 for Itanium based systems the boot disk MUST be VxVM (although data disks can still be LVM or VxVM).

So I would guess that LVM will slowly be phased out along with PA_RISC.
Hats ? We don't need no stinkin' hats !!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

That would totally suck! I have sun servers without veri-TOSS because the license for veri-TOSS is more expensive than the server and application software!

The same goes for veri-TOSS's backup software.

I didn't know I needed a Tiffany's line of credit to purchase veri-TOSS's software.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Yes 11.20 will only support Vxvm as the root disk .

Manoj Srivastava
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Harry,

As far as I know the cost of Veritas will be included in the OS. It's a base or "lite" version, but will handle RAID (mirroring & striping), have dynamic multi-pathing as well as a GUI.

Jeff

PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

Base VxVM is included with standard 11i but if you get the Mission Critical release (ie inclusive of Service Guard etc) you should get the advanced VxVM options.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

According to the VERITAS Volume Manager 3.1 Migration Guide, the base version does not do mirroring, that requires an additional license (B9116AA).

FWIW,
Pete

Pete
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Pete,

Yes you're correct...you need to purchase Mirror UX separately to get mirroring if you buy the Base OE...OR...step up to Enterprise OE to get it along w/On-Line JFS, etc.

And Nick...isn't it silly that you don't get the Adv Veritas w/the Enterprise OE? Is it available as a separate purch? Would be rather wasteful if you had to go Mission_Critical & buy all the other prods (MC/SG, ECM, etc.) if you only wanted the Adv Veritas.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

This may be outdated but my ordering guide says "The full VERITAS Volume Manager, which includes disk mirroring and Dynamic Multipathing is not included in any of the Operating Environments. It must be purchased separately by using HP product number B9116AA.

Sound like you can get it separately.

Pete

Pete
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

The advanced VxVM is listed as its own product ref so I guess you can probably buy it seperatly. When I enquired about this from our account manager she managed to confirm that we had all the licenced "bits" needed for Mission Critical but we had to pay about ??300 to uplift our "media" to this level.