3632 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Latest HP-UX market share

Bineesh P.V
Occasional Contributor

Latest HP-UX market share

Hi ,

Please help me to understand the hp-ux market share as of 2010 when compared to AIX and Solaris.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bineesh
9 REPLIES 9
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Re: Latest HP-UX market share

Hi Bineesh,

No idea ... :) ..

But , still .. Once you worked on this , I am sure you will not search for another one :)

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

It depends on each region.

As for APJ region Solaris are still up in the list. But most of the customers are now migrating to AIX + Linux. Those who doesn't wanted to move from Solaris, still surviving.

HP-UX have still demands in this region, but when looking at the migration and new intake, AIX is going higher.

EMEA, I guess AIX market is going higher.

AMERICAS I think Solaris is still roaring. Not sure. :)
Regards
Shibin

Shibin,

Idle comment by yourself or based on actual data?

Anyway - Bineesh - the standard way of getting at this data is to look at IDC server market share data. However unless your company actually buys this data from IDC, you won't get the raw stats, just various journalists, commentators, analysts and vendors "spin" on the data, all of which are open to wildly different interpretations.

Anyway googling:

idc unix market share 2010

Should get you some useful data, but as I said, take it all with a pinch of salt as it will no doubt have someones spin applied to it.

I have to ask why you care... All 3 commercial UNIX versions - HP-UX, AIX and Solaris - are stable long term platforms, and buying based on market share just means you're a sheep following the herd! Market share is one fairly unimportant measure on a balanced scorecard for selecting products (assuming thats what you are doing here)

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

It's my own survey in the market.

Banking and Telecom sector most using Solaris. But recent trends ( some European based banks ) I have seen that they are moving out of Solaris and catching AIX. This trend is not only for banking sector, other areas such as mining, steel etc.

I can't say it is because of recent strategy by Oracle. It was started in India way back 2005. Telecoms, Banking, Health industry all moved to AIX, while Singapore was stick on Solaris.

Now, Singapore also given up Solaris and catching AIX and Linux.

But Aus, Solaris has equal demand like HP-UX. But new trends are going to AIX platform.

EU, I can see quite a number of demands for AIX compared to other.

NZ, Gulf regions are still stick with Solaris and less no of HP-UX.
Regards
Shibin
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Shibin -- you must have Sir a lot of industry contacts to be able to do your own "survey". What is undoubtedly correct is UNIX server shipments are declining YoY but it does not mean UNIX will be gone "soon" (however you define soon).

As far as UNIX market share - there are server shipments ($$ value) and OS Seats (less of $$value) and it is still likely -- AIX, HP-UX, Solaris for the former and Solaris, AIX, HP-UX for the latter.

With the release during the last 18 months of X86_64 "SmartIron" systems that run Linux at par with its big RISC Based cousins plus Solaris - Server shipments for Linux may actually outperform UNIX soon.

As far as verifieable "deployments" -- Netcraft, W3techs, and otehr organizations continously poll the millions of Web Servers on the planet and they've plublised and updated reports on OS market share.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Bineesh P.V
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

Thank you all for putting your time for my silly question :-).It gives me some picture to understand the trend little bit . As per IDC data on server shipment HP is in #1 positions as of Q2-2010 . I was bit curious to know the OS wise data . Not for making any purchasing decission but for General Knowledge .

Expecting more comments from experts !

Cheers ,
Bineesh
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Yes HP has the #1 Server Market Share. They sell something like millions of them every second (exaggerated of course). But of those sales -- I would bet it is Windows, Linux, HPUX as the OS bundled in that order.

But in terms of volume of actual UNIX Server shipment sales - it would likely be Solaris, AIX, HP-UX. But in terms of $ amounts --- can't say for sure as just a few hundreds of Integrity Server Sales with HP-UX license and support can already be considered substantial in the ever shrinking UNIX server shipments.

If we however include LINUX - that'll likely be a surprising statistic as shops do buy X86 servers without an OS sourcing their Linux elsewhere or just using Free/Community Supported Distributions like CentOS and Ubuntu.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Bineesh P.V
Occasional Contributor

Thanks you all .
Bineesh P.V
Occasional Contributor

Thanks All .