Operating System - HP-UX
1752756 Members
4962 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Latex, tetex 3.0, pdflatex on HP-UX 11iv3 (0909 release)

corinne haesaerts
Occasional Advisor

Latex, tetex 3.0, pdflatex on HP-UX 11iv3 (0909 release)

This is actually more an announcement than a question.
Last week I spent some time compiling tetex v3.0 sources on HP-UX 11iv3 following a customer request.
I came across a number of "issues", some of which I could not find a solution to on the web.

Basically here is what it takes to compile the entire tetex package on HP-UX.

I copied the sources from http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/obsolete/systems/unix/teTeX/3.0/dist

I copied tetex-src-3.0.tar.gz, tetex-texmf-3.0.tar.gz and tetex-texmfsrc-3.0.tar.gz
(it turns out I didn't need the last one).

the tetex-src-3.0 tar ball contains an INSTALL file with information on how to install the software. (i.e. create a number of directories, etc...)
I decided to use gcc (4.4.1), flex & bison for the build on HP-UX

the configure file does not have any specifics for HP-UX/gcc combination, and I didn't add any.

here is the command I used :

configure --prefix=/usr/local/TEX --disable-multiplatform -without-xdvik -without-dvipng

the configure stage works well, but the make all or make world stages gave me some trouble.

1st of all, HP-UX doesn't like having sources that include both and
basically what I had to do is replace all occurrences of by (in all sources generated by web2c))

2nd. the make command would stop with a strange error :

cd web2c && make CC='gcc'CFLAGS='-g -O2' LDFLAGS='' web2c
Expect one shift/reduce conflict.
bison -y -d -v ./web2c.y
conflicts: 1 shift/reduce
*** Termination signal 13

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

It turns out that this error has NOTHING to do with the bison command....

the directory that contains web2c.y has a problem ... 3 filenames end in -dist. These should be renamed to the names that are referenced in the Makefile (filenames are y_tab.c-dist, y_tab.h-dist & lex.yy.c-dist & should be renamed to y_tab.c, y_tab.h and lex.yy.c) Once you've done that the install goes fine (except for the occasional error which necessitates editing the c-source & replacing by

3rd. somewhere along the process everything stops with the message that "the sources are older than 5 years & so you cannot build this tree" ( or something in that style)....
what I did then was not very "clean", but I just set the system time backward to 2006 :-)
that fixed the problem (I did of course set the date forward afterwards).

If you use gcc to compile, the pdflatex binary (which is the one I was after) complains about a couple of binaries (only available in the gcc installation directory). So you should copy these files to /usr/lib & you'll be home free.

Also, if you want to move the binaries to a different server, do not forget to copy the /.texmf-config directory to the home of the user you want to run under.

Other than that, you should be fine. I know tex/latex/teTeX is rather old software, but it is still used & since I could not find much info on how to run it on HP-UX I decided to document my little experiment.

Enjoy
Corinne Haesaerts
1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Latex, tetex 3.0, pdflatex on HP-UX 11iv3 (0909 release)

>Termination signal 13

This is SIGPIPE. It will occur if the reader terminates before the writer.
Do you know who the two processes are?