New Discussion юеВ

Legato drives not seen on HP UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
patrick_119
Advisor

Legato drives not seen on HP UX 11i

Hi,

We are in the process of implementing Legato Networker 7.0 Enterprise Backup System in our environment which consists of HP UX Boxes running 11i. In order to set this up we have an NSR (router) which converts SCSII (tape drives) to Fibre (SAN). We have 10 tape drives on our Juke Box and can see all 10 drives from the GIU interface of the NSR. But on the Backup server (HP UX 11.11) we can see ONLY 7 Drives. We are using Secure Path 3.0b and some additional recommended patches. The big problem is that we CANNOT SEE ALL 10 drives on the backup and client servers presented from the SAN. Anyone out there with experience on this, please help us out.

We NEED HELP URGENTLY...

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Legato drives not seen on HP UX 11i

Patrick,

Did you configure the drives ?

# jb_config

Does the command nsrjb sea the drives ?

Robert-Jan
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

How are your tape drives presented on the SAN? Is it presented onthe same FC HBA's to your servers or do they have dedicated FC-HBA's?

On a Compaq SCSI-FC Bridge (similar to yout "NSR?" router), whenever we encounter presentation/zoning problems - it is most often fixed by rebooting the router and doing an "ioscan -fnC tape" on your HP-UX server.

As a tip, HW paths that have a 255 on the path will be your "bound" device(s). "ioscan -fnC tape|grep 255" will give you your number of bound tape devices. Interistingly, how many number of tape drives do you see using SAM? How many number do you see using "ioscan -fnC tape" w/o grepping for 255?

Hakuna Matata.
patrick_119
Advisor

Hi,

We did not run jb_config as we are only seeing 7 out of the 10 drives.

the tape drives are presented on the SAME HBA's to the server.

We tried rebooting the NSR and running the ioscan command w/o the grep shows only 0 - 6 devices.

rgds

pat
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Do you have the license installed to support 10 drives? Check your licenses in the 'nwadmin' GUI and select "Server" -> "Registration". If didn't install your licenses, install it first and then try again.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Then you have a SAN/HBA config problem most likely.. What FC-HBA's are you using? HP or 3rd Party.. if HP then FCMS (Fibre Channel Mass Storage) is in effect.. do you have FIBRECHANNEL11i or the FCMS packages properly loaded?

Pharao Shiju, if ioscan does not return the 10 drives he should be seeing - then the problem woul dbe most likely in presentation of the bridged SCSI devices on to the Fibre infrastructre..

What library are your trying to configure? Make sure your SAN Master or you indeed could confirm that at the SAN switch (you're connected fabric-wise right?) - your tape devices are actually "seen" from the ROUTER and properly zoned to the server's HBA needing them...
Hakuna Matata.
patrick_119
Advisor

Thanks a lot Shiju and Nelson. I am gathering the required info from our team out here and will revert back. Points have been awarded for your effort.

Many Thanks & Regards,

Pat