1752509 Members
4743 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lets talk Vista... c",)

Percival
Advisor

Lets talk Vista... c",)

Are you using Windows Vista Already??? dont think so yet but this comming Feb maybe.... anyone of you got Q bout this new OS just post it here and LET'S TALK VISTA....No category Yet...Admin please include Vista for the category.
16 REPLIES 16
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

Lets trash Vista instead...

I don't by cd's with drm protection, and i won't install a OS with the same thing...

I was hopping that this would be a good OS, but i already lost my hope, if i would install vista i would be giving to much control over to Microsoft.

Vista is the dictator of OS, especially to multimedia users.

I'm a windows / Linux user, but since i work with Microsoft systems, i have to dedicate more of my time to windows, but now, I'm thinking very seriously of migrating completely to LINUX.

hope this helps,
hugo
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Like it or not, Vista is going to be a major player in the OS market. So creating a Vista category is a "must be".
And, as usual, we all must expect big problems with Vista...

Jorge
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Like it or not, Vista is going to be a major player in the OS market. So creating a Vista category is a "must be".
And, as usual, we all must expect big problems with it...

Jorge
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Sorry to post twice... some problem happen in my Internet connection.
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

I now that sooner or later we "windows admins" will have no choice.

But people must be aware of what Microsoft is doing.

They are violating peoples rights, just like sony did, and still does by the way.

That's the problem with Microsoft, they already have a lot, and they dominate the market. Just look at IE7. what IE7 brings of new features, Firefox was already doing it for years back, Firefox is 10 times better than IE, especially with the right combination of extensions. The problem here, is that Microsoft doesn't even care about that, they have the necessary good programmers to do things the right way if they wanted it.

I'm not trashing vista or IE because they are from Microsoft, i think Microsoft has lot's of good software, but in this case they are terrible.

regards,
hugo
Tom Ridges
Advisor

Good shout Percival!

I've only used vista in the Lab, I cant see us moving to it for a while...

...let the bugs surface.

Just think, in a couple of years times we will all be saying "don't you remember the good old days of XP ;-)"

I'm personally a fan of MS OS, sure there are some things annoy me about it, but I'm interested in how it develops in the next few years...
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Pecival and All

I have installed Vista to one of my old computers (x2100, with 2.4 GHz pentium 4) to see if it works and how it looks like. There was no installation problems, all was recognized well, but the old Adaptec SCSI card has no drivers and the monitor was recognized only as generic monitor (it is Samsung).

It starts more quickly than XP Pro and the desktop looks better. Firewall seems to work, you must accept programs to start although you have started them. My old F-Secure did not work, I had to install a free AVG virus protection program.

All programs I have installed are working without problems. Deskjet 5655 installed without problems, Color laserjet 1600 had some problems but is now working ok. They are both in network connected to other computer.

Testing continues...

Eino
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Like most, I am not a big fan of changes.
Mostly when there is no change in service, just - where to find things.
Just when I have Win 98se down to a science, we changed to Win 2K and then to XP Pro.
I see no difference in Win 2K and XP on a user level basis. Both are solid and reliable compared to the 95 and ME era. Let's hope that this isn't another goose egg like the Windows ME fiasco.

Some companies never learn, especially when there real big. I am very interested in Linux but don't have the time to start from scratch with it. The systems by me are almost always older and we run with that until we can't anymore. Just got rid of the last 98 box a few months ago, as it wont run our latest main software upgrade.

Now they tell us we must upgrade again to be able to run their applications on Vista. Where are the tree huggers when it comes to obsoleting our hardware before it dies. I have about 7-8 boxes with 98 on them I can't use.
Are they going to wind up in a landfill in the name of progress? Kids wouldn't even want them. We seem to be in such a hurry to improve. I like Windows 2000 and XP and see no reason to change? Yet, the market seems dominated and forceful to change, whether it is needed or not.

What is the real reason to have Vista?

Why do we have to use Vista?

What was so bad with XP that we just can't have an XP second edition (all patches preloaded)?

The answer is $.
Microsoft needs new capital, publishers need new books to market, etc.. etc...
Work Smarter Not Harder
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Ken

Yes, that is it how it goes. Always must be something new to sell and it must look better than the old one or it is impossible to be sold.

Then also after some year the support ends and you can not get a new devices to work, if you must buy a new, when the old one has gone broken.

Eino