New Discussion юеВ

Re: License questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

License questions

I am currently running an rp2430-OS hp-ux 11.0
my managers purchased an rp3410 off Ebay (no comment). I am pretty sure my software licensing allows me to upgrade to 11.i but I found that this 3410 has two processors in it - do I have to purchase a second processor license?
9 REPLIES 9
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

I don't think you have to.

Go ahead and upgrade that box, 11.0 really su%"s, as far as I know, that licensing is not per processor based, not at that level at least.

Regards,

Marco,
Just unplug and plug in again ....
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the information! D
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

question answered
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Although this thread has been closed, I want to add that HP-UX licensing is per processor core.

But there is no hard check during the installation of HP-UX. As long as you have the installation CD, you can technically go ahead. The licensing issue is only administrative, unless HP finds out :-)
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

LOL I was trying to be ummm in compliance. It appears that by default the second processor is off so I am good! Thanks for the laugh though! D

Dee,

Be _very_ careful about this... you need to read the Ts & Cs on license transfers...

If you are intending to transfer the license you have for HP-UX from the rp2430 to the rp3410, read the following:

http://licensing.hp.com/slm/swl/view.slm;jsessionid=n2WzK6NPvnhg7pWnJYQnGDMcl7J2S16y0ycWZxN7yLDjyk2hnnD2!-545042372?page=wihapla

The key point is, if you don't have a support contract for HP-UX that covers HP software update you are NOT entitled to just move your HP-UX license from one system to another (as you are on 11.00 which we don't support anymore I suspect you don't have a support contract...)

If you think the rp3410 came with a HP-UX license you need to read this:

http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/slt/americas/index.html

And the key point here is that you need PROOF that the system included a license when you purchased it - even if you have proof there is a charge for transferring the license ownership from the old owner of the rp3410 to you.

Sorry, don't shoot the messenger! But it seems your boss should have done some homework before buying kit on eBay...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

this information is much appreciated and believe me I expected this answer - sorry I cannot give you points but will forward the information. D
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>sorry I cannot give you points but will forward the information.

You can always reopen the thread to assign more points:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#41
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

question answered