Operating System - HP-UX
1748169 Members
3975 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Limitation of eight (8) characters for nodename.

Ronald Lee Hicks

Limitation of eight (8) characters for nodename.

The limitation of eight characters in HP-UX for the nodename is problem that needs to resolved. I do not have this problem with Solaris. Is this ever going to get fixed?

Ron H.
ron.hicks@zt.com
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I agree with you! It is an enhancement that HP definitely needs to look at. The thing to do, is to see if you can get it submitted as an enhancement request through the Response Center.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I'm affraid I agree ..... however if you contact the Response Centre ... quote JAGaa12274 & JAGad42350 at them to make life easier for them.
Edward Sedgemore
Trusted Contributor

The HP CERTIFIED book under chapter 13 says the maximum length of the hostname on HP-UX 11 is "64 characters maximum". (pages 240 and 234)
Ajay Sishodia
Frequent Advisor

Yes Edward, The system can have a nodename of more than 8 characters! But the problem is uname drops anything/everything after the 8th character. Now, that creates problems :)
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Here's a thread that gives some good reasons why it's not good to make it more than 8 characters:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x2db614a24fd1d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

But I agree...it will be much easier when we can go above the 8 character constraint.

/rcw
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Actually, there is a workaround. Edit the netconf file in /etc/rc.config.d and where HOSTNAME=<8charname>

add a new line with:
NODENAME=

Now the network name is long but the uname name is short as required.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin