1752623 Members
4529 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux Clustering

Mike Hedderly
Advisor

Linux Clustering

I was wondering if anyone had experience of Clustering on Redhat Linux AS4. I am tasked with trying to choose between Redhat Cluster with GFS versus Veritas Clustering and a clustered file system.

Does anyone have an opinion of which is better ? more stable better performance any ideas/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I tested Veritas and Red Hat GFS. We use Red Hat GFS but I think that Veritas is more mature in clustering.

Do your own test if you can, ask the providers for a demo.

For example, cluster LVM mirroring in Red Hat is not as good as the software mirroring provided by veritas.

Another funny thing is that GFS requires 3 LUNs to do a mirror, one is used for logging.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mike Hedderly
Advisor

I'm not too worried about LVM as I will have two MSA1000 controllers running in the active/active mode.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Then GFS should be enough for you. Performance is good. There is one thing that I think is missing and is the possibility to manually set the node lock server for a filesystem.

AFAIK, Veritas is very more expensive than GFS.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

"Another funny thing is that GFS requires 3 LUNs to do a mirror, one is used for logging."

This looks strange..
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>> This looks strange..

Yep. The logging LUN only uses one extend. You can avoid the use by specifying --corelog but this will force a full mirror resync after system shutdown or reboot.