108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linux Desktop implementation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abhijeet_3
Frequent Advisor

Linux Desktop implementation

Our organisation planning to change/migrate all desktops from Microsoft Windows to Linux.

I need help to implement this activity.

Which Linux desktop software to be use.
Your earlier experience about this activity.
Any useful documents.

Thx

Abhijeet
4 REPLIES 4
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

Re: Linux Desktop implementation

hi abhijeet,

i guess you need to check hardware compatibility with all the version before deciding the linux version.

Please check the following link

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040412/

regards
chakri
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246380.html?Open

"Linux Client Migration Cookbook A Practical Planning and Implementation Guide for Migrating to Desktop Linux"

dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

again, in linux you are mostly free to pick whatever you want. the 2 big ones are KDE and Gnome.
my guess is you will already have picked one of these, since you already must know which distribution you are going to use. Suse and Mandrake focus on KDE, while RH and Novell Desktop is Gnome centric.
If your company is using open standards throughout you will not have many problems. I'm talking about mail, webserver/services, documents.
Although OpenOffice can read MSOffice documents some of them have problems (if they are very complicated). Others like visio still have no import filter and up until now access is also not available.
What you can do is run these programs in emulation with 'wine', or use them from a terminal server.
Also you can expect people to be confused on some things, because it is not windows, the menus are different, the programs are different, and every change brings along that people get confused. Make documentation available that explains tasks they do in windows and how to do in Linux.