using FC adapter.
Do I need software like Power Path or SDD

5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Linux FC adapter SAN

Sure you can.

You just have to be careful in choosing the FC adapter: you'll want the kind that's well supported in Linux. It would be good to have the FC adapter driver available in source form: then you can recompile the driver for new kernels if necessary (for example, if a new security hole is found). You might not want to compile your own kernel, but it's good to have the option, just in case.

If the driver is available in binary form only, you're stuck with the specific kernel versions the driver supports. You can do security upgrades to the kernel only when (or if) you get a new version of the binary driver.

We have a Proliant ML370 G3 connected to EMC Symmetrix with two Emulex LP9002 FC adapters and RedHat Enterprise Linux ES 3.
Active/passive failover from one adapter to another works without PowerPath, but if you want to have both adapters active and still be fault tolerant, you need PowerPath or something similar.
MK
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Tough job, you need to look at support matrices for your storages X fibre channel adapter of your choice. I recommend Qlogic standard 2GB - http://www.qlogic.com/products/fc_san_hostadapers.asp

About load balancing and high availability software for redundant link, each storage vendor has its own. HP sells Secure Path, EMC power path, and probably so on. I don├В┬┤t know a software that supports all storages.

Good look.

Cel
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
Chris Saunderson
Frequent Advisor

Yes you can. You need to check the compatability of the FC HBA you are using to make sure it works.

You don't _need_ PowerPath, but if you intend to do load-balancing, you will need it.
Ted Nugent called. He wants his shirt back.
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Qlogic has a driver to make failover in linux, so you dont need to buy extra software.

Celso
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

thnaks all :)
That info is enough for now :)