Operating System - Linux
1747982 Members
4695 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Linux IA-64 with DRM/DRI accelerated (3D) graphics?

Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

Linux IA-64 with DRM/DRI accelerated (3D) graphics?

Is there a way to ‘achieve’ full DRM/DRI acceleration under Linux IA-64, Debian in particular?  (Although that shouldn't matter, Red Hat or SuSE should be fine as well; but, preferably with AMD/ATi graphics adapters.)  The last time I tried Debian, which I believe was version 5.03 (which I used because of CD/DVD detection issues, which I read should be resolved now).

I have the following AMD/ATi graphics adapters at my disposal:

• Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder (64 MB), AGP
  • Radeon 7500 (64 MB), PCI
  • Radeon 7500 (128 MB, ME), AGP
  • FireGL X1 (256 MB), AGP
  • Radeon HD5450 (512 MB), PCI 

So, I have a fairly wide range of choices.

The systems available for testing are the following HP Integrity systems:

• rx2600/rx2600-2 with “Madison” processors
  • rx2620 with “Montecito” processors.

Thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

I assume there's nothing at all? 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

As far as I know, the rx26nn systems don't have any AGP slots, so you can put aside all your AGP cards.

Your PCI cards might be workable, if they can take 3.3 V voltage and have a power requirement of 15 W or less. The servers won't have any facilities for supplying extra power for power-hungry graphics cards.

If a PCI card won't physically fit into a PCI-X slot (which is what the slots on rx26nn systems are), it requires 5.0 volts, which is not available on PCI-X slots. Many PCI cards today are "Universal PCI" cards, meaning that they'll work on either 5.0 or 3.3 volts. These cards would have a chance of working in the rx26nn systems.

The accelerated 3D support for ATi/AMD is apparently pretty much open-source, so it should be useable on all architectures. You'll need a recent enough version of kernel, X server and MesaGL libraries (the free implementation of OpenGL).

MK