Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux, Openview, and Xterm

dead
Occasional Visitor

Linux, Openview, and Xterm

I am running OpenView NNM (6.2) on an HP 9000 class server running HP-UX 11. I am trying to set up a Linux workstation (RedHat 7.2) to be a management console. I am able to telnet to my OpenView server and start an xterm session. But when I try to run ovw, I get the following errors:

ovw:Xt Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

ovw:Xt Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-140-*

ovw:Xt Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

Can anyone tell me what these errors are? Do I need to send any particular parameters when I run an Xterm session? Any help on getting this resolved is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
1 REPLY
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Re: Linux, Openview, and Xterm

The HP-UX locale of "C" assumes a character set encoding of HP-Roman8. These fonts are probably not available to your X display server (xlsfonts -fn "*hp-roman8").

There are a few options:

1/ Make the fonts available. There are 2 options to this: either add an HP-UX font server to your X server's font path, or copy the fonts to a local directory and add this to your font-path.

2/ Set LANG to "C.iso88591" before running the application. This will cause fonts with the ISO8859-1 encoding to be loaded. These should be available to your X server already.