Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux & the Internet:

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Linux & the Internet:

Hi guys!
I have windows98 & RedHat Linux7.3 OS on my pc. I would love to make Linux my default OS and use it as often as I can. But, I use the internet a lot & I do not know of any ISP that support Linux. I called AOL thinking they might support it but they said no, I contacted NetZero and found out that they do not support it either. Can someone please tell me how can I connect to the web? I mean which ISP is good?
Thank you so much!
"help!"
6 REPLIES
Dirk Wiedemann
Respected Contributor

Re: Linux & the Internet:

Hello,
you can use ANY provider which allows normal dial in per tcp/ip. Normaly it doesn't make any difference what os you use.
An exception are providers who deliver a special client-software (like AOL). Therefore you need a according linux software.
But who needs such providers...
regards
Dirk
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dirk! Can someone name a few ISPs in the USA that will allow normal dial in per tcp/ip & work with Red Hat Linux?
"help!"
Dirk Wiedemann
Respected Contributor

Sorry, I'm from Germany...
Dirk
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Pretty well any except AOL. Ask if they use PPP on their
dial-up access.

Cable and ADSL access is also supported. This may be either
PPPOE (PPP Over Ethernet) or DHCP (Dynamic addressing).

Chech the networking howto's at http://www.tldp.org.
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dirk...9 (useful answer)+1 (Germany is cool)=10 :-)

Bill, Thanks for your answer. Can you please tell me what information other than whether they use PPP I should ask the ISP? Like, do I have to find out their IP add. or something? Thank you for your prompt replies.

"help!"
James Wilson_5
Frequent Advisor

Look in your yellow pages under "Internet-Service Providers". Find one with a local number, subscribe, get their local dial in number and you are on your way.
These days the software will take care of the rest.