Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux command

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ridzuan Zakaria
Frequent Advisor

Linux command

Hi,

I am currently moving my shell (sh/ksh) scripts from HP-UX 11.11 environment to our newly acquired "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)" enviroment. I found that Linux do not have "pg" command. Can anyone suggest what command should I use in place of "pg".

One more thing how do I know what is my OS release version? "uname -a" return the following output.

Linux XXX 2.4.21-9.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 17:08:56 ES
T 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks.

Thanks.
quest for perfections
4 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Linux command

A 'pg' replacement on RHES3 could be either 'less' or 'more'. Just create a symbolic link to either of them:

ln -sf /usr/bin/less /usr/bin/pg

If you were relying upon 'pg', you might also want to put an exported 'PAGER' variable in some profiles.

The release (version) of Linux is 'uname -r', which would be '2.4.21-9.ELsmp' on that machine, the kernel version.

If you are wondering what platform, then you want 'uname -s' (Linux) or 'uname -o' (GNU/Linux). Note that 'uname -o' doesn't work on HP-UX, so don't use it for cross-platform testing (-s returns 'HP-UX').

Any more info needed? ;)
One long-haired git at your service...
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

uname -r or -a provides you with kernel version;
if you want to check OS version in RH or Mandrake linux, you should

cat /etc/redhat-release

Rgds,
Vitaly
Chris Xu
Trusted Contributor

You can determine the Red Hat OS release version by looking at the kernel release "uname -r".
2.4.9-25 ---> AS 2.1
2.4.21-9 ---> AS 3.1
2.4.21-15 ---> AS 3.2
2.4.21-20 ---> AS 3.3

So your systems is running AS 3 update 1, and it has a multi-processor kernel, indicated by "smp" after 1.4.21-9.EL.

Chris
KevinHu_1
Occasional Advisor

you can install the pg's rpm or pg's source

determine release you can try

#cat /proc/version

best regard
kevinhu