Operating System - Linux
1753907 Members
8684 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Linux on HP Vectra VL 6 series 7

Louis Brooks

Linux on HP Vectra VL 6 series 7

We just picked up several (4), HP Vectra VL 6 machines, PII 266mhz 4 gig HD 10/100 Lan Cards etc, to use as Linux workstations (We use Suse, RedHat, and FreeBSD depending on the application) and I am having problems getting the software to install.

With the Linux distros, Suse & RH, I get a kernal panic from the page swap when it is trying to do the install. (This is in both text and graphical install modes) With FreeBSD it starts the install, tries to start the kernel configuration, and then reboots.

I think it is an issue with the hardware or the BIOS. I have flashed the BIOS to the most recent version, tried all the setting settings in the BIOS that looked relevent, and searched the web for an answer to no avail. The only thing I can find is references to the Matrox vid vard and conflicts with X but I don't htink this is the problem. If anyone can provide a workaround or point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative.

Sincerely,

Louis Brooks
1 REPLY 1
Louis Brooks

Re: Linux on HP Vectra VL 6 series 7

Please disregard this post. After numerous hours I figured it out. The problem was due to user error, ie I didn't set the memory completely when I installed the extra ram. Now if you will excuse me I am going to flog myself with a SCSI cable.

Thanks,

Louis Brooks