Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux on Visualize X Class, 733, with FX6

Marc-Andre Morisset
Occasional Visitor

Linux on Visualize X Class, 733, with FX6

Hello.

I hate to bring up an older subject, but I was wondering if anyone has installed Linux (any distro) on this type of system.

I've seen comments about beta drivers for the FX6 existing at one point in time, but I can't find them now. If these drivers are not available, is is possible to use the FX5/FX10 drivers and HP's X Server?

I don't need the FX6 specifically, but I would rather not purchase another video card if there is something out there even if it's beta.
3 REPLIES
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: Linux on Visualize X Class, 733, with FX6

Rick Beldin
Esteemed Contributor

I think that you are stuck with older RH distros with this graphics card. I want to say that RH 7.3 was the last release that I recall.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?
Marc-Andre Morisset
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the information. I ended up going back to redhat 6.2 and installing the beta drivers and X Server from HP. I had to search for a while, but I found the hpgraphics bundles here : http://www.hyper-linux.org/HP-HOWTO/mirror/Software/

Things work well, aside from being somewhat out of date in terms of kernels...But it is light years beyond the 640x480 version of X I had before.

If I'm feeling brave some day I may see if I can upgrade to redhat 7.3...but I'm in no rush for now.

Thanks for the help.

.ma