1752701 Members
5750 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Linux on a HP 8510p notebook

wranner

Linux on a HP 8510p notebook

Hi all!

We are integrating a custom linux based on Ubuntu 6.10 for a client on a HP/Compaq 8510p notebook.

We are running into problems when the system is doing a cold start. The fan of the notebook is then running on full speed for 20 seconds every 2 minutes plus sound won't work correctly (it's muted every time the fan spins up...).

Once we do a reboot everything is back to normal and works fine.

The only thing that won't work well then is WLAN roaming, which takes quite a long time (about 15 seconds). We are currently using the windows driver with ndiswrapper because we can't find linux drivers for the device.

Any help appreciated.

-Werner
1 REPLY 1
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Linux on a HP 8510p notebook

Werner, I don't know if the solution is out of scope. But, I've noticed greatly increased device detection and drivers in Ubuntu 7.x and 8.x, especially for wireless devices over Ubuntu 6.x. Most of my wireless devices work/worked straight off the install disk from Ubuntu 7.x and 8.x, whereas in 6.x I had to use ndiswrapper. And, this is true for an HP8710w laptop, so, you might get lucky and find the same is true for your 8510 series, in which I think the main difference between the two model series is screen size.

Is there any way you could do this project by making a custom build from a newer Ubuntu distribution? Just a suggestion.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett