4623 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Load Segment not going off (UPS)

Jack Frontiers
Occasional Advisor

Load Segment not going off (UPS)

Hi,

We have an R5500 UPS. We have divided our load to 2 load segments.

After the UPS Management Agent takes all the servers offline, only the second load segment is taken off. Because of this, the servers on load segment 1 are not taken online when the UPS gets connected to the electricity.

Why is load segment one not taken offline?

There is one server in load segment 1 and another on load segment 2. There is a shutdown delay of 40 minutes and a restart delay of 10 minutes. These These settings are for the two servers.

The servers are added as attached devices and run the ups agent.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Jack Frontiers
Occasional Advisor

Re: Load Segment not going off (UPS)

The firmware version of HP UPS Management Module Firmware Version: 2.1.3
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

It would be nice if you can capture the setting on Attached Device.
How do you know LS 1 is still on because your server connected to LS1 is still on?
If yes, then focus to see why this server is not shut down? the setting "On battery" delay too long? or the server is off but LS1 still on because you set "OS shutdown" time is too long?
Are you sure the setting on each server are identical? no Shutdown script check box is checked by accidentally? are they on LS1 and LS 2 or both on LS2? You didn't mention but I assume that the "On-Battery" delay are the same? once expired both servers getting the shutdown command at the same time? what is your UPS FW version?

Brian
Jack Frontiers
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I reflashed the firmware of the management module and reconfigured. I will make an UPS test. I'll respond to your question after the test.

Thanks!
Jack Frontiers
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Using the Management Module, I can only get the firmware version of the management module itself. Then, I made a pass-through and used the Power Manager application to connect to the UPS, but this application doesn't give any information about the firmware.

How can I get the version of the UPS?

As my machine us new (bought in 2010), it should have the latest firmware, as the latest dates from 26 october 2007.

Thanks
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Do you have anything else connected to LS 1, besides the server?

Why don't you destribute power supplies from both servers to both load segments?

My guess is, that there's a high power usage on LS 1, wich the UPS isn't aware off, and that caurse it to keep the LS open.
It will not shut down the LS if there's higher power usage than expected

Could also be that the shutdown time is too short. Menaning if the take longer time to shut down than you have set the UPS, then you will get a higher power usage.

Or as mentioned, if the shutdown delay and time is longer than you got power for.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Jack Frontiers
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Now everything works. I had also a SAN on Load 1, which explains why it didn't shutdown. I added the SAN as Storage Device.

One other thing. When testing the UPS I plugged the power just after the UPS shutdown all the hardware, but one or two LED's of the UPS flashed. Because of this, the restart delay wasn't respected.

When plugging the power after the LED's are off, the configured delay is applied.

Note: The documentation of the Management Module doesn't describe how "Other Device" and "Storage Device" influences the UPS operation.

Thanks.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I did a lot of testing some years ago, much like what you are doing.

I learned, that if power is restored, very close to the time limits. It will fail to work as wanted.

If the power is restored close to the end of the shut down delay, shut down will not be cancelled.
Server shut down will happen. But the load segment stay on. so you will not get server restart.
I remember timing, at least 15 seconds inacuresi.
And I think we ended up accepting up 90 seconds, where it might fail to work perfectly.

I suspect, that restoring power to soon, after the ups has shut down, may also caurse unwanted behaviuor.

Try to keep it off for a few minutes.

We testet on R3000 XR.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo