1748227 Members
4249 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lost mouse on 712/60 under hPUX 9.05

David A. Fortin
Advisor

Lost mouse on 712/60 under hPUX 9.05

Recently, while moving some other equipment, I disconnected the mouse and keyboard from a running 712/60. Aftter reconnecting them, I discovered that the mouse no longer functioned. I also discovered that the /dev/ps* files were missing. I asked for help with that issue and got help from this forum on recreating the files. However, the mouse still does not work. The mouse is physically OK since it will work on other computers.

While researching this problem, I discovered what I believe to be the root cause of the trouble. It seems that another user, upon discovering that the mouse and keyborad didn;t work, ran a script designed to re-initilize the I/O under 10.20 (see attached). This had the nasty result of wiping out several different files, while being unable to recreate them as planned (since the commands used do not exist under 9.05).

The 712/60 works, but I cannot start X since the system cannot find a pointer device. Is there some way to recreate the missing pieces? SAM knows about the PS2 device ports but cannot tell me what the device files are (should be). I tried just recreating the /dev/ps2* files, but the system stills thinks there is no mouse. I have powered down the system and cold booted it. It seems that more is required. Could it be something to do with the other delieted files (/stand/ioconfig /etc/ioconfig)? I am at a loss on how to proceed. But, I really need to get X working on this system again.
2 REPLIES 2
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Re: Lost mouse on 712/60 under hPUX 9.05

From experience, power down and power back on, it will work.
David A. Fortin
Advisor

Re: Lost mouse on 712/60 under hPUX 9.05

I have tried powering off the system and restarting it. The mouse still refuses to work. I believe it is some type of configuration issue, specifically something is missing. I am looking for help to determine what, exactly, must exist for the mouse to work. Once I know what needs to exist, I can find which pece is missing and get help to recreate it.

I am hoping that there is some special command to recreate all the needed files and such, but I have been unable to find such a command. On the 800 series, there is a "insf" command to recreate all the special files. This does not exist on the 700 series under 9.05. Also, SAM does not seem to have any way to make this happen. Although it can list the PS2 ports, it cannot list the required device files, etc.

And, I cannot reload 9.05 as I cannot find the CDs for this old OS version.