108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

^M's in vi only when in X

Mark Henry_1
Frequent Advisor

^M's in vi only when in X

Hi All,

Hope this is not the wrong forum..

When in X, and in a terminal, hitting the regular enter key output's ^M's instead of new lines. The enter key on the bottom rhs of the keyboard works though..
Where's dos coming from? :)
Same deal when I log into the machine through X, I have to use the less-used enter key to get through the user/pass section..
Can't find anything in .dtlogin..

Any ideas how to straighten this out?

Thanks,

Mark
6 REPLIES 6
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: ^M's in vi only when in X

Hi Mark,

Check your terminal setting and make sure the terminal setting is set to interpret control characters and not display them. If it is set to display control charcter, set it to interpret control characters.

hope this helps.

Regds
Mark Henry_1
Frequent Advisor

..terminal setting as in stty settings?

thx,

M
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

No not the stty settings. Terminal setting as in emulator setting if you are using an emulator to connect to the system or terminal setting as in the terminal configuration if you are using a direct connected terminal to the system. How are you connecting to the system. Are you logging in from a directly connected terminal or a emulator software using telnet. Which software is it?.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Mark Henry_1
Frequent Advisor

Sanjay,

Thanks...

The machine is a local machine running cde - firstly i have to hit the 2nd enter key at login, and then when in X, the ^M thing pops up when in vi..

So look for the settings for the gui terminal prog?

Thx,

Mark
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Check your keyboard setting. Seems like a problem with your default keyboard type.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I've seen a similar problem on openbsd but only when mounting a cdrom incorrectly. On the condole it was fine but not in X.
Wouldn't happen to be a cdrom ms format copy?

It works for me (tm)