Operating System - HP-UX
1752276 Members
5179 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MC/SG - two backage can be in different subnet?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Laszlo Csizmadia
Frequent Advisor

MC/SG - two backage can be in different subnet?

I have a ServiceGuard cluster on 11i nodes. I need to add an other package but there is no more free IP in the subnet where the other packages has the IP from.
Does it make any problem if a create a new package with different subnet? I mean the "SUBNET[0]=" parameter in package's RUN_SCRIPT.

I don't think it would be a problem but I want to be sure.
Basically this only makes an other IP alias for lan0. Lan0:5 for example. The question in other words: does it make any problem if lan0, lan0:1 - lan0:4 and lan0:5 belong to different subnet?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor
Solution

No .. it is not possible. All virtual IPs on a particular lan interface say lan0, lan0:1 ... need to be on the same subnet.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

You can have two packages on different subnets, provided that the subnets are already configured into the cluster binary and they are on different network cards.
I.E. you cannot have a single network card with more than one subnet on it.
If I read your question correctly, you would need to have the new subnet already configured in hte cluster, and have a separate network card to have the second subnet running on it.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You can have different subnets - but only on different lan cards - all lan0:X must be in same subnet but lan5 can be different from the subnet of lan0.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

At least one lan on the primary and the alternate node where this package is going to run should be in the same subnet in which the new package is going to be configured.

Hope this helps.

Regds