4857 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MIgrating to Hp-UX11i

Yogendra
Occasional Contributor

MIgrating to Hp-UX11i

Hi All,
I have one application build on C/C++ and running on Hp_UX 10.2. Now ai am planning to port the application to hp-UX11i. Could anybody please tell me what are the differences in terms of system calls, IPC and signals between 10.2 and 11i.
I need to modify my source code to compile and build on 11i. Can anybody help me if anybody have done that before?

Regards,
Yogi
yogendra.saini@iflexsolutions.com
10 REPLIES 10
Vitek Pepas
Valued Contributor

Re: MIgrating to Hp-UX11i

You should be able to recompile your code without making any changes. Assuming of course the original code was compliant with standards.
Brian Bergstrand
Honored Contributor

Vitek is right, as long as you are using ANSI/POSIX calls then there shouldn't be any problems. Where the problems start is if you are using /dev/kmem.

HTH.
Yogendra
Occasional Contributor

Do you mean that there is no chnage in the system calls, signals and IPC in 10.2 and 11i.
I need to mention that my application have used the system calls and signal extensively and making use of IPC as well.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have a look at the HP-UX Software Transition Kit web site.
http://devrsrc1.external.hp.com/STK/index.html

There should be tools available here that can help you in your efforts.

Vitek Pepas
Valued Contributor

Review the HP-UX 11i Release Notes for details, but I don't think your code should be affected.
Actually, you should have no problems running apps compiled under 10.20 on 11.x servers.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

I think I should point out here that the code might run but I believe that any libraries you link against should be re-compiled for 11.*
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Yogendra
Occasional Contributor

Yes Mark, I have the same feeling but as other guys have mentioned that i can run the application compiled on 10.2 with out any problem on 11i. Does it mean that I just ftp the executables from 10.2 to 11i and the try to run the application and theortically it should run?
Brian Bergstrand
Honored Contributor

Signals, system calls, and IPC are all covered by POSIX. That's why there is a standard. So you can take code from one system and compile it on another. In this case it's a newer version of the same OS, but the principal is the same -- portable code.

Take a look at the porting guide Patrick linked too. But I don't think you'll have a a problem (unless you run into a specific 11i bug, but in that case there should be a patch).

HTH.
Brian Bergstrand
Honored Contributor

Yogi,

I've compiled (simple) stuff on 10.1 and run it on 11i. For the most part the two are binary comptible. So you probably don't even have to recompile if you don't want to. Either way, as long as your apps stick to the standards things should "just work".