1748166 Members
3848 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 (6400 Smart Array Controller) + Debian

Michael Bellears
Occasional Advisor

ML570 (6400 Smart Array Controller) + Debian

Just purchased the above server, and am having difficulties locating a "generic linux"(Only appears to be RH and Family available) driver for the Raid controller.

Has anyone succesffuly installed Debian on the Smart Array 6400?(If so, did you use a driver disk, or create your own Deb install CD with 2.4.25 kern?)

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
MB
16 REPLIES 16
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

What version of Debian did you install, and what kernel is on it?

I know the 2.4.21+ kernels have a compatable 'cciss' driver for that series of card.
One long-haired git at your service...
Michael Bellears
Occasional Advisor

Running Debian 3.0 (2.4.20 kern (bf24 install) - So it fails to find the controller.)

My only other options are to create a driver disk (Can't find a generic driver though - Only RH vers's.), or to create a custom install CD, that has 2.4.25 kern with cciss support compiled in (I assume this is <*> Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support under block devices?)

Regards,
MB
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Under newer kernels, yes, that is the correct driver. In earlier versions of the driver however it doesn't work on any of the 6xxx or 6xx series of controllers.

The config name is 'CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA'.
Michael Bellears
Occasional Advisor

Ok - Finally got Debian installed - I created a custom install CD with 2.4.21 (compiled with 6400 support) - I have the ISO if anyone is interested.

My next question is - I have 4x148.6G Drives with Deb Installed - If I wanted to add new drives to the existing array (Via Top Tools), how would I then make this new space available once in Debian(Or any other Linux for that matter) - I know with Windows, you can dynamically add (Once new capacity is available) space to existing partitions...Is this doable under Linux (Special Partitioning Software?) - Or would I need to create new arrays of storage, and mount them as new partitions in fstab?

Regards,
MB
Rei├Я, Thomas
Regular Advisor

You can make a LVM Volume.
I an LVM Volume You can add some new Partition's or Diskspace.

After that grow up Your Filesysem.

Please take a Look at

man LVM

Thomas Rei├Я
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

At this time, I'm not aware of any on-line tools that will allow you to expand an existing array container for this series of controller.

It might be hidden somewhere in the ACU-XE however, as I've not fully explored that thing.

Getting that installed on Debian though might be a challenge.
Todd Erwin

Hey this is going to be my lucky day. Could you please send me that ISO so I can try it out on my box.

Thanks for all your hard work I too have been working on this for about a week.

Todd
Michael Bellears
Occasional Advisor

http://hoon.datafx.com.au/compaq_iso/bootbf2.4.iso (~38M)

I had to really strip down the kernel image, so your NIC may not function (From memory I def. have support for EtherExpressPro/100)

Regards,
MB
Michael Bellears
Occasional Advisor

Stuart: I managed to increase the array size via the Smart Start Disk array Manager (Is this the correct location?)

I have been told that tools such as: resize_reiserfs can be used to (as the name suggest!) resize the partition size with the newly available space.

Regards,
MB