Operating System - Linux
1753519 Members
3713 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MLS6030 Tape library compatibility with Linux and Xeon (DL360 G4)

Al_56
Regular Advisor

MLS6030 Tape library compatibility with Linux and Xeon (DL360 G4)

We have just purchased an MLS6030 Tape library 960 which will be attached to a DL360 G4.

We intend to use RedHat Enterprise server OS (RHEL) on the server as that is our standard OS of choice (the actual OS is CentOS, which is a free version of RHEL (www.centos.org).

Looking at the drivers for the unit l see that only RHEL 2.1 is supported, and that is for the Itanium processor. Has anyone installed this tape library with a later release of RHEL (4.1 hopefully) on a Xeon server?

If anyone is using this library with another Linux distribution, please let me know how recent the version of that distribution is.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
4 REPLIES 4
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alan,
I have just finished installing a DL380G3 with 2*Xeon cpu's. Server runs RHEL4 U1 attached to an EVA4000 SAN.
There is a MSL6030 library with 2*960 Ultrium tape drives installed in it. The MSL is also attached to the SAN Fabric.
Using the HP Library & Tape Tools test programs on the Linux server (please note I had to modify some of the scripts etc to make it install), I am getting transfer rates of approx 2048MB in 40secs (50.8MB/s) when I use the DevPerf test.

Just waiting on my customer to install Oracle so we can test HP Openview Data Protector on it.

The Windows servers which also use this MSL library, are getting a slightly faster transfer rate but I am not too worried about that. Think it was just the test options I was using in this particular case.

Regards
Anthony
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your response Anthony,

Which driver did you use to install it?

Alan
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Al,
I used the HP Library & Tape tools for the testing (I don't believe that LTT installs any drivers into the OS). I didn't install any drivers within RHEL4. It's just whatever RH came with.

Anthony
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Thanks Anthony,

l appreciate your responses.

Al