3102 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MPP Excel

intp
Frequent Advisor

MPP Excel

Hi,

We have a schedule for our production cycle, which runs for almost 20days every month. We have start time, end time, dependencies for each step and fed them in Microsoft project plan(MPP). when we change timings of one task, MPP will automatically changes the dependent job timings. Once the time line are fed in to MPP, its also exported to Excel format for better readability. OK , upto this part is done by one of our Project manager ( i have no clue how long it takes to do the above task and i never worked on MPP).

During production cycle , if job breaks and timelines are missed , we will report new timings and our project manager update it in MPP accordingly , BUT HE WUDNT EXPORT IT TO EXCEL format (no clue why he wudnt) and send (email) us the updated MPP (which is hoorible to read, need a lot of scrolls left and right).

Solution can be, we ourselves export it to excel format whenevr we receive updated MPP.

Question1: is there better software avbl ? easy to update, easy to read.

Question2: can the whole exercise be done in Excel itself, like it has automatically calculate times based on dependency jobs etc..
(may be possible thru macros? ) any sample from anyone ?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

MSproj can also save files in a format called .mpx
If your project manager can save a copy in this format when the project is updated, then it is a simple matter of programming (excel vba macros) for excel to show this in any table view that you need.
Phil
intp
Frequent Advisor

hi...thanks..

i'm not familiar with vba macros programming ...do you have a sample
program which reads .mpx files and shows in
excel in the format we need.?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You can get this MS Project viewer -- http://www.steelray.com/?gclid=CKWWyd6tmYYCFSYUWAodpVQtuw
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

I think your options are :-
A Get the project manager to save the project as an excel spreadsheet, it only takes 3 mouse clicks!
B Save it yourself in excel format.
C Use MPX format - this is really just a comma-delimited export of project data, so you can then use it with any software that understands csv format.

One advantage in using excel is that you can use the "track changes" option to highlight project plan changes.
Phil