Re: MS-SMTP help I'm being RBL'd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

MS-SMTP help I'm being RBL'd

Please see my thread in the Microsoft General forum:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=826738

Just put an anti-spam gateway running MS-SMTP, in front of my unix sendmail server. Now I'm being added to RBLs.

Seems that sendmail was properly configured for no open relay, but MS-SMTP is not.

Need assistance badly before I can't send email to anybody, any more.

Fred
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
25 REPLIES 25
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Here you go:
http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6191AAE

Remove the previous version and install this one.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

oops, sorry. replied to the wrong thread.

my apologies.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

That's too bad because I really need assistance :) ... no worries.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Are you sure that you are really on the RBH system?
Take a look at the various lists on this page: http://www.email-policy.com/Spam-black-lists.htm

The only way that I know of to clear yourself is to directly contact Spamhaus (et al) and explain that this was a mistake, and you have fixed your system.

The last time I went through this was several years ago, however the RBHS people reacted pretty quickly, and the mail started flowing again.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Yeah I'm certain, we're getting mail bounced back that names the list right in in. I sent them an email to ask to be removed and of course they bounced the email back because I'm on their list. Finally had to send an email to them from another account. That one removed me from the test list (NJABL) but now I'm on others.

And here's the thing, I've figured out why. I tried relaying with this scheme:

destination%domain@mydomain.com

...MS-STMP said it took the file for delivery. It did not actually relay, but it looks like it did. So I get on lists.

This has got to be repairable by config otherwise half the mail servers on the planet would be on the lists, no?
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

By the way I learned a lesson a few years ago, not to go to these sites and test your IP for open relays. Some of them add you to their list if it fails, and you just put yourself right on it.

The solution I think is to configure MS-SMTP properly, anyway. Just don't know how.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Ouch, I didn't experience the auto black-holling, but will be more carefull in future.

As for mailing the RBHS services, do they not have Internet based enquirey forms that you can fill in to cover this eventuality?

If not, simply use a personal email address that's outside the blocked domain, and I'm sure if you provide some information such as what caused the problem, and an alternative way to contact your company, e.g. fax, they'll respond favourabley.

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Not the one I mentioned. I'd be curious to see what would happen, if someone out there also has MS-SMTP v.5 facing the the internet, if you try to relay using the scheme I've showed - does it accept as mine does? If not, I'd love to compare your settings to mine.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Here's the way I did the test. First you need an address to send the relay to. I used a hotmail account. Then from someplace on the internet, your home email lets say, log into your mail server with these commands:

telnet mydomain.com 25
helo
mail from: liar@spamfarm.com
rcpt to: account%hotmail.com@mydomain.com
data
this is a relay test
quit

If the server says it accepts the email for delivery, these RBLs can blacklist you. If the hotmail account actually gets the email then you are relaying it.

As I said - mine does not actually send it. You could argue that I'm being wrongly RBL'd but hey, the server said it took it for delivery.

Anyway I really don't feel like chasing down all the RBL lists, nor do I want to call all the domains that block me and ask to be whitelisted. Just want SMTP to behave.