1753789 Members
7909 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500/Redhat EL 3 Storage Limitation?

Rainer_8
Advisor

MSA1500/Redhat EL 3 Storage Limitation?

I have a DL380G4 Server with a MSA1500cs. The MSA has 4 MSA20 shelfs with 48 S-ATA disks a 250 GB.
I have build 5 RAID Volumes in RAID5. Each RAID contains 9 disks. So I have configured 5 logigal volumes with 1,9TB for each volume.
My OS is RHELv3 - update 4. I have installed all HP drivers and tools.
Thats all OK. Now I'll combinate this 5 volumes in one "large" system like LINUX RAID or LVM. But I think, there is a limitation of 2 TB? My target is a very large storage area for my appliction. A mount of the separatly volumes in different mountpoints is not possible for me.
My question is, how can I generate an storage place larger then 2 TB for a single mountpoint? The second question is: Can I use RHELv4 with the MSA1500? I think, there is no offical support on HP-website.

Thanks for Help

Rainer
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500/Redhat EL 3 Storage Limitation?

2TB is an old limit as far as I'm aware.

What filesystem type are you using?

With regards to LVM on RHEL3 however, it is LVM v1.x which does only support 2TB logical & physical's. You'll need LVM v2 series.

I'm unsure if the release of 'mdadm' supports greater than 2TB, as I know that was a bug fixed in the 1.8 series (and only 1.5 is with RHEL3).

And yes, the MSA's should all work on RHEL4, and that has many updated features such as lvm2.

I have to ask though. What are you doing that needs a single 18TB filesystem?!?
One long-haired git at your service...
Rainer_8
Advisor

Thank you for the answers.
We are calculating very large images recorded by an airplane system, so that on flight is nearly 500 GB ... 1 TB raw data, and than we need up to 4x space for some operations, and we have not only one flight.
My skill in linux is not so good. So is my question, how can I install RHEL4 so, that the MSA1500 is supported?
At first time I have tried an install of RHEL4 but I dont have seen the MSA. For the servers I've found a support pack for the RHEL4, is this all, I needed?

Thanks

Rainer
Rainer_8
Advisor

My filesystem should be ext3.

Rainer