Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail relay from: address resolution

SOLVED
Go to solution

Mail relay from: address resolution

I have an issue I am trying to resolve in configuring a mail relay.

If a client sends an email with the FROM: address as "user@abc.com" my relay blocks it since "abc.com" does not resolve ("server.abc.com" does, however).

If the client sends an email with the FROM: address as "user@server.abc.com", it will pass through my relay, but will be blocked by outside mail systems, since "server.abc.com" does not resolve (it's an internal only address).

I have tried putting in "abc.com" in the host tables so that it resolves to something, but the mail is still not going through. I may revisit this, now that I have more detailed logging turned on, but ideally, I would like to have sendmail not try to resolve the FROM: address. Older versions of sendmail didn't do this, it appears to be a new default in sendmail. I have tried setting:
O PrivacyOptions=public
in the sendmail.cf file, but this has no effect. I suppose I could create a new .cf file from the .m4, but I am hoping there is an option setting in sendmail.cf that I am missing.
Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
4 REPLIES
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: Mail relay from: address resolution

Set the DM macro on both servers /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMabc.com

Then restart sendmail...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Steven,

you can allow your mail server to accept mails from abc.com for relay.

this link from itrc might help,

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062922173

The itrc doc id is UMAILKBRC00009719

Hope this helps.

Regds

> Set the DM macro on both servers
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no
> masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMabc.com
>
> Then restart sendmail...
>
> Rgds...Geoff

Geoff -
This didn't work, since, even though the mail relay masquerades as abc.com, the FROM: address still does not resolve.

Thanks for the idea, though!

>Hi Steven,
>
>you can allow your mail server to accept mails
>from abc.com for relay.
>
>this link from itrc might help,
>
>http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062922173
>
>The itrc doc id is UMAILKBRC00009719
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regds

That's exactly what I'm looking for! All I need to do is run the gen_cf script and have it generate a sendmail.cf with Accept_unresolvable_domains turned on.

Thanks!

Steven