Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailx and host/system designation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffro_1
Occasional Advisor

Mailx and host/system designation

I have inherited a SYS Admin position over a HP server running HPUX. The problem I'm having is when using the mailx command to email a file from the HPUX server to my office PC currrently running Windows Vista, I get the email OK but the FROM address in the email shows a old email address. Example
mailx jeff.smith@def.aaa.gov < rr (Where rr is a ascii file. I get the email OK but the from address shows jeff.rowland.abc.aaa.gov

abc.aaa.gov was a old address subsequently updated to def.aaa.gov. Can't figure out where its picking up the old address. Any sugggestions where to look?
8 REPLIES
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Re: Mailx and host/system designation

I'm not a sendmail expert, but it sounds like either the Dj or DM value in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf needs to be updated with the new domain.
--
Jeff Traigle
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First keep an original copy of your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
#cp -p /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.ori

Then please edit your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and set your new domain name:
Change default example definition,
#Dj$w.Foo.COM
by:
Dj def.aaa.gov (a space separating)

Try an email. I hope this be enough.

Rgds.
Jeffro_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the replies.
I have tried setting the Dj and Dm lines but I'm still getting the emails showing the old address.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi again,

What is the content of /etc/resolv.conf file?
Jeffro_1
Occasional Advisor

I checked the /etc/resolv.conf file and did find the referense to the old address.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Your suggestions are very usefull and have saved them for reference.

Jeff
Jeffro_1
Occasional Advisor

As suggested by
repliers, reference to old email address was found in file: /etc/resolv.conf
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Glad to assist you. Please be careful with the content of /etc/resolv.conf file, here you defines, among others, your server domain suffix, that must be in accordance with your current FQDN rules.

Rgds.
Jeffro_1
Occasional Advisor

I did make a update to the resolv file and mailx seems to be working correctly now.