108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mailx only sends SOME of the information to e-mail account

SOLVED
Go to solution
SammyLand
Occasional Advisor

Mailx only sends SOME of the information to e-mail account

OK, I wrote a script to go out and gather information from various systems. When I include ONE particular system (hsgccu25), mailx says it sent the file, but nothing shows up.
Could someone out there try to send themselves this file (attached) via mailx and see if it makes it to your e-mail account.
I think it is my firewall, but I have split up the file into pieces and sometimes it makes it through and sometimes it doesn't. And when I combine the parts that do make it together, it doesn't make it. Weird.
If you don't know, ask....
6 REPLIES 6
SammyLand
Occasional Advisor

Here is the "whole" file I am trying to send to myself. This one includes the problem child's output as well...
SammyLand
Occasional Advisor

What would looking at the output be if I didn't attach the rass'in frass'in script...
So, again, as you see from the 'for' loop, I isolated just this systems called hsgccu25 and ran the script but it still won't mail to me.
I cut pieces from the output of just the ...25 system such as the top 6 lines and it sends just fine. I do the same for the bottom 6 lines and it sends. I combine the top 6 with the bottom 6 and NO LUCK. mailq says it goes bye bye, my spam filter on my groupwise e-mail P.O.S. says nothing is quarantined, but still, nuthin... Wassaaaaaa
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

mailx being a fancy wrapper around the sendmail binary, in order to debug, I suggest using sendmail directly, skipping the fancy subject lines and reading from files etc.

try this instead of the mailx line towards the endo of your script:

cat my_logfile | sendmail -v myemail@mydomain.com

watch the verbose output from sendmail. If it says it has been delivered to your relay server, assuming it ia MS Exchange server, there is nothing you can do buit contact the admins of that server and see why that particular mail is being held back while others are passing through. Or sendmail output may tell you something you are not expecting. Who knows ...

Mel,
I think you are on point with this one. I'm getting the following after executing on the commandline...:
hssdru15:/tmp# cat /tmp/daily_system_check.txt | sendmail -v sam.mckenzie@state.co.us
sam.mckenzie@state.co.us... Connecting to ctygwia.cdhs.state.co.us. via relay...
220 hsgccl61.cdhs.state.co.us GroupWise Internet Agent 7.0.3 Copyright (c) 1993-2008 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved. Ready
>>> EHLO hssdru15.state.co.us
250-hsgccl61.cdhs.state.co.us
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE
>>> MAIL From: SIZE=7886 AUTH=root@+81w.state.co.us
250 Ok
>>> RCPT To:
250 Ok
>>> DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 Ok
sam.mckenzie@state.co.us... Sent (Ok)
Closing connection to ctygwia.cdhs.state.co.us.
>>> QUIT
221 hsgccl61.cdhs.state.co.us Closing transmission channel

Therefore, it leaves my server just fine, hits SOMETHING, then boom, stoppage...

Right ?!?

Sammy

SammyLand
Occasional Advisor

Mel,
It was someone's filter on the State side. Tell your boss to give you a raise !
Thanks,
Sammy
SammyLand
Occasional Advisor

When mailx sends and leaves your server. It IS the responsibility of someone in-between to get it through. Check with your exchange/groupwise/webmail admin for spam buckets !