5459 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Make room!

Frederic Wartner
Frequent Advisor

Make room!

Hi all,
I'm beginning to use a 715/50 under 10.20, and I need to free some disk space.
What can I delete? Is there a way to delete all the log files and other unessential stuff?
Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Make room!

Any particular file system that you're interested in purging?

You can delete most everything under /tmp and /var/tmp. You can use SAM to trim log files.
You can use find to remove core files or check for excessively large files.

A little more info on what you're after would help focus the answers you're going to get.

Pete

Pete
SM_3
Super Advisor

have you heard of the freedisk command

it's interactive & easy to use

just try

#freedisk
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Depend on what you need. In a normal scene, these things can be done:
1) Clean all un necessary files from /tmp. This file system holds temp. files only.
2) Clean /var/adm/wtmp and btmp files. These were log in informations, can be cleared if not needed.
3) Remove files from /var/adm/crash. These has last system crash information.
4) /var log files. Find all log files and can be removed/trimmed.
5) run command - cleanp - to clean old patches from system. Read man pages before use.
6) Check root file system and remove all un necessary files from it.
7) The OS file systems are normally under vg00. Others can be removed if you don't need any old data.
8) CAUTION - when removing files from /, /etc, /usr, /sbin, /var, /opt, /stand etc.
9) Use SAM's routine tasks to trim files.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor

Here's what I go after

1) cores
find / -type f -name core -exec rm {} \;

2) Logs
find / -type f -name "*log" -exec ll {} \;

3) try the cleanup command
/usr/sbin/cleanup
Please read the man page before running it.

4) Check for old software that you may not need. Start with /opt. Perhaps you have old tools left on the system that can be removed.

Good luck,
Tom
Rizwan Mohammed
Frequent Advisor

hi

you can delete mail log files under /var
trim utmp ,wtmp files

backout some patch log files if not required.

check for core dump files which can be deleted

Rizwan

Know ?Urself before judging others
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Since you note "old", download and install PHCO_20824 for 10.20 from the ITRC Patch database. This is the 'cleanup' patch utility which you may or may not have.

No reboot is required to install. This will trim log files in '/var/adm/sw' and remove superceded patches. If you have never run this, you may gain substantial space in '/var'. This is the *only* recommended way to maintain '/var/adm/sw'. Simply do:

# cleanup

Regards!

...JRF...
Frederic Wartner
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all for helping.
Does anybody know how to type {} on a 46021B HP keyboard?
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

You can also run swremove to remove products that are not used. NOTE: Take care with this! Make sure the products are really not needed. (Do a system backup first.)

The swremove utility will also check for dependencies and remove them when appropriate.

I would use swremove before running cleanup. Cleanup may prevent the removal of products and patches (especially patches).

HTH
Marty
Robert Krebs
Occasional Advisor

Hey Frederick!
Two things:
1. Although I can't help you with your particular keyboard I have a similar problem and here's my workaround. I've created a text file on another workstation called "braces" which has only the two characters { and }. I've FTP'd this file to the workstation that doesn't have the braces. Whenever I need to type the braces I can cut and paste them from the "braces" file.
2. Some other types of files you may want to look for to free up disk space are .tar files and backups that may have been created by another sysadmin (.bak, .orig, etc).
Have a grand day, Bob
Admission of wrongdoing is not an admission of weakness, but a sign of strength - Author Unknown