1752729 Members
6051 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mandrake on a Netserver LX Pro?

John Borders
Advisor

Mandrake on a Netserver LX Pro?

I just got a Netserver and would like to install Mandrake 8.1 on it. I've never used a Netserver before but have installed linux on a PC a couple of times. How should I begin? (nothing like a broad question!)
5 REPLIES 5
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello John,

If you have nothing on that server, I'd say you've got nothing to lose by trying! :) Most modern Linux distributions are pretty intelligent when it comes to detecting (and using) the devices you have installed.

I'm supposing you'll want to erase whatever is on this server for this Linux installation. If that's not the case, you may need to use a product like "Partition Magic" or "GNU parted" to reduce your windows partition and install linux.

Hope it helps,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
As said before, fresh install on a new system should not be a problem. Together with Windows whatever version is ok as well. There is a partitioning tool within Linux ( diskdruid i thinmk ). Mandrake is nice to handle and pretty easy to install. For later changes you have your graphic tools like harddrake or so.
You will see these tools on the desktop.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
John Borders
Advisor

Here's what I really should have asked: Is there any quirks/differences to installing it on a Netserver (with 6 scsi drives, 2 pp200's, etc.) vice a regular PC? I've never even seen a Netserver powered up and I'm getting it today! Thanks!
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello John,

Like I said, linux supports a lot of hardware these days, so it shouldn't be a major problem. If it is, you'll know right away since it won't be able to recognize something. If you look at the kernel for instance, you'll see that a significant amount of work goes exactly into device drivers (SCSI, VGA, etc).

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
John Borders
Advisor

I installed it last night and it went flawlessly! Thanks a lot!