108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Max No. User logins ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edgar Canaan
Occasional Advisor

Max No. User logins ?

Is there any Kernel parameter on HP-UX 11.0 or 10.20 that really limits the number of remote user logins, like the Solaris "pt_cnt" ??

Thanks!
In a world without walls there is no need for gates and windows...
8 REPLIES 8
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Re: Max No. User logins ?

maxusers?

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
no as such
but the telnet sessions are limited to 60 but this can be increased.
never give up
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could accomplish something like this by limiting the number of pty and tty device files available. If you look at the kernel parameters npty and nstrtel you can see how increasing these and then building the device file can get you more logins. If you lower the numbers and make sure that the number of device files corresponds, then when the last device file is used, no one else will be able to login until someone logs off and frees up a device file.

Here is the page with HP-UX configurable kernel parameters. YOu can find npty and nstrtel at the very bottom of the document.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparams.OverviewAll.html
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi

here is your kernel parameter :

npty : number of ptys ( Pseudo ttys ).

neylan tokerler
Occasional Advisor

hi,
no, maxusers although has a kind of meaning as a word, it has no impact to limit the number of users. i can say there is no such param in kernel.
but i donot have solaris experience so do not know what your solaris parameter affects in fact.
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again,

also :

nstrtel : Number of telnet session device file.
nrfc_nb : Number of NetBIOS connections
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgar

It is npty .

Manoj Srivastava
Sergei Kazakov
Advisor

Hi!
There are some kernel lunable parameters that limits number of processes (looks like 'maxproc'). Use SAM to check this. each user initiates new process and if it's number over this limit - remote (and local users) user can't logon. I was met this problem when used to remote connection with Exceed. In general, it would be number or formula (also I saw 'maxuser' parameter in this formula, but I not sure). Also try 'sar -A' to check the number of available/maximum processes number.

Good luck.
Sincerrely,
Sergei Kazakov.