Operating System - HP-UX
1748228 Members
4106 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

May I use 'make_net_recovery' to create a bootable tape for a workstation that without ignite-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tracy_32
Advisor

May I use 'make_net_recovery' to create a bootable tape for a workstation that without ignite-UX

Hi,
Here are two machines:
A: ignite server (HP-UX 10.20)
B: workstation without ignite-UX (HP-UX 11.00)

May I use 'make_net_recovery' to create a bootable tape for B from A?

Thank you all in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: May I use 'make_net_recovery' to create a bootable tape for a workstation that without ignite-UX

Tracy,

How would you create a tape if you do not have the sofware loaded on you workstation ?

Regards,
Robert-Jan.
Tracy_32
Advisor

Re: May I use 'make_net_recovery' to create a bootable tape for a workstation that without ignite-UX

Robert,
For ignite-UX isn't been installed on the workstation, I don't know how can I create a bootable backup for it. So I suppose if I could use 'make_net_recovery' to do that from another server.
Would you please give me a suggestion?

Thank you!
Mei Jiao
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Tracy,

You must have Ignite-UX installed on your HP-UX 11.00 workstation to create the bootable tape using 'make_net_recovery' for B from A.

For more reference, you may want to refer to this document:

"Ignite-UX Administration Guide HP Computers with HP-UX 10.x, 11.0 or 11i"
http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90772/B2355-90772.html

Hope it helps!
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Tracy,

From the Ignite FAQ's

9.5. How much of Ignite-UX do I need to install?

Depending on what you are using Ignite-UX for, you may be able to reduce the disk space usage by not loading the full product. Below is a list of typical usages and a list of what parts of Ignite-UX you need. If you are not concerned with disk space, it is easiest just to load the bundle(s) for the HP-UX releases you plan to work with. For all cases the IUX.IGNT-ENG-A-MAN fileset can be omitted or removed if you do not want on-line documentation.

Ignite-UX server to install HP-UX on clients: Load the Ignite-UX bundle(s) for each HP-UX release which you plan to install onto clients. You can omit the IUX.OBAM-RUN fileset if your server is 11.10 or later and you do not plan on using make_net_recovery for 10.x clients.

Ignite-UX server to support network recovery for clients: You will need the full Ignite-UX bundle for each version of HP-UX that your clients are running.

Using only make_recovery or make_tape_recovery command: You only need the filesets:

Ignite-UX.RECOVERY
Ignite-UX.BOOT-KERNEL
Ignite-UX.FILE-SRV-release
Ignite-UX.MGMT-TOOLS

Where: release is the HP-UX release of the system you are running.

Using only make_net_recovery on a client: The filesets a client needs will normally be pushed out by the ignite GUI to each client from the depot created by pkg_rec_depot(1M). The only filesets required for make_net_recovery on the client are: Ignite-UX.RECOVERY Ignite-UX.MGMT-TOOLS

A network boot helper: To setup a system on a remote subnet that is used just to allow a client to do a network boot and then contact a remote Ignite-UX server, all you need is: Ignite-UX.MinimumRuntime

Keep in mind that it is not a good idea to load a mixture of different versions of Ignite-UX filesets on a system. So if you decide to update just a subset of Ignite-UX, you may want to use swremove to remove the portions you no longer need.

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/faq.html#N01C0A538.02AC129C

Regards,
Robert-Jan.
Tracy_32
Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's help. I decide to install ignite-UX on my workstation. But,
I've download 'Ignite-UX-11-00_B.4.4.30_HP-UX_B.11.00_32+64.depot' from hpitrc, then I use command 'swinstall -s /var/spool/sw/Ignite-UX-11-00_B.4.4.30_HP-UX_B.11.00_32+64.depot' to install it on my workstation, it returns error 'There is currently no depot software on host "hostname" at location "/var/spool/sw".' When I use command as below, I get the same error message.

#/usr/sbin/swagentd -r &
#swreg -l depot /var/spool/sw
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Tracy,

# swreg -l depot /var/spool/sw
# swinstall -s /var/spool/sw

Hope this helps,
Robert-Jan
Tracy_32
Advisor

Hi Robert,
It coulde be installed when I followed your suggestion. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Tracy