1753404 Members
7128 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mem Windows install problems

Gerry Tully
Frequent Advisor

Mem Windows install problems

When trying to install mem windows on my r5470 HPUX 11.0 system, I changed the kernel parm max_mem_win to 256 and changed the /etc/services.window file to add oracle. This caused the databases not to come up with an out of memory error. I changed the kernel parm to 5 because we will have 4 databases but still had the same error. I moved the max_mem_window back to 0 just so the databases would come back up like before I started this but I still get an out of memory error when trying to start any of the databases. Interesting note, when I do a dmesg the bottom line says: using 1239 buffers containing 9786KBytes of memory. BTW the system has 8gb ram. Any ideas?
Any Ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Re: Mem Windows install problems

Hi,

not certain there, but I thought 255 would be the maximum...
Anyway, you could have used memory windows without that kernel change!
And your HP-UX has to be 11.x and your kernel must use 64bits (getconf KERNEL_BITS) - but with 8GB of RMA you do have 64bits in use...

The "/etc/services.window" is only a not so important config file to used by special "setmemwindow(1m)" command lines, you could do without that file. And ALL the processes belonging to the same instance of your database (Oracle technical terms) MUST be started with the same memory windows number!!! Even (especially) the LISTENER!!!

The buffers mentioned at the end of "dmesg" are filesystem buffer-cache buffers, that's not related to memory-windows.

FWIW,
Wodisch
Andre Blanchette
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

As far as I know from my own tests, the listener do not have to be started in the same mem window. It is the instance pmon process which will create the new client process link. Therefore the client process will inherit the memwindow # from the pmon process.

On the other hand, could the amout of swap space on your machine be the problem? Just thinking...

regards,
Andre
becoming HP knowlegable person?

Hello,

If you look a bit further in the database forum you will see that you need one listener by memory window.

Anyway that does not prevent Oracle from starting.

Do you have any idea about the SGA size of your different databases ?
Do not forget that with 4 databases and 4 memory windows you have 1 Gb available for each database plus 0.75Gb shared by all databases.

You can have also fragmentation issue (no best_fit policy is available in 11.0)

Philippe