5047 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Message are not being received on Pager

Nisar Ahmad
Regular Advisor

Message are not being received on Pager

Hi there

We are runing ITO and I can see messages in "exapage.log" but not receiving on pager.

Any help/clue will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nisar Ahmad
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Message are not being received on Pager

Hi:

Before you worry about IT/O sending the pages, you need to make certain that sendmail can send pages. After that is is usually simple to get the rest working. I assume that you are using sendmail rather than simply sending numeric codes to a serially attached modem. In my case, I do both in case the network is down.
Make sure that you can at least do something like 'echo "Test Page" | mail 9001234567@pagemci.com' or whatever you do to send text messages to your pager.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Nisar Ahmad
Regular Advisor

Hi Clay

I think sendmail is not involved. ITO is sending to Modem and then a service provider is delivering messages to the pager. It used to work but not I am getting messages from Omniback but not from ITO.

Regards

Nisar
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

ITO -> Modem -> Phone line -> Pager

Any of these components or "->" interfaces could be at fault. I would suggest the following troubleshooting steps:

1) send an alert from ITO, is the modem dialing?
2) If the modem is not dialing, check the interfacing between ITO and the modem. Is there a hanging modem lock file that needs to be cleared? Otherwise, the modem might be spoilt.
3) If the modem is dialing, try using a communication software such as kermit and try dialing out any number eg. your office phone number. Does your office phone ring?
4) If your office phone rings, then it is likely the syntax of the page was set wrongly or there is a fault with your pager (skip to step 7).
5) If your office phone does not ring, then try connecting an analog telephone to the phone line and dial out your office number. Does your office phone ring?
6) If your office phone does not ring, then the phone line is problematic.
7) If your office phone rings, then the phone line is fine. Check whether your pager can receive a page by paging through an analog telephone from your office.
8) If your pager does not receive the page, then your pager either run out of batteries or your pager has spoilt.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com