New Discussion юеВ

Re: Message "Out of Memory" during installation Oracle Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alianto
Advisor

Message "Out of Memory" during installation Oracle Server

Hi All,

Anybody ever encounter problem with memory during installation Oracle Database Server 8.1.7.0 64 bits ?
If yes, please share the experience and also how to solve it.
For information, my server is running HPUX 11 64-bits with 2.5 GB physical memory. I think it should be sufficient.
7 REPLIES 7
Kilari Venkat Giri Babu
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

It is deffinately problem with your disk space.
Even though Oracle takes 0.9 to 1.4 GB ( Depends upon no of components we select), during installation the Oracle installation software swaps so much of pysichal memory which will some time cause to the problem. Try to increase your free space by cleaning up some of unneccessary stuff and try at least with 3.5GB free space.
Nothing is impossible
Sukant Naik
Trusted Contributor

If this is to do with the diskspace, it ought to be the tmp directory. By default it uses the /tmp directory.

Set the TMP variable to some other filesystem where you have got enough space.

TMP=/user1/tmp
export TMP

And now restart the installation. I have faced the same problem while installing Ineternet Application Server 9i and setting this variable has solved my problem.

( Also I am attaching the cookbook which I had created for installing ias9i. Is is not directly applicable in your case, but is will give you some fair idea as to how to go about regarding the installation)

- Sukant
Who dares he wins
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

This is likely to be because either:

- you maxdsiz / maxdsiz_64bit kernel parameters are too low. What are these values set to? Have you increased them from the defaults?

- you have run out of reservable swap space. What does 'swapinfo -atm' say?

Regards,
Steve

Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend checking the kernel parameters "maxdsiz" and "maxssiz", as the default values are too small, then the resource limits of your session (ulimit), the diskspace of "/tmp" and your $ORACLE_HOME file-systems (bdf), and the swapspace (sawpinfo -tam).
I can only guess that youare NOT using a HFS filesystem (berkeley), as you may run out of i-nodes, then, or run your kernel with "swapmem_on=0", as you would need enormous amounts of swap-space then...
So, just in case check the kernel parameters "swapmem_on", and "maxswapchunks".

HTH,
Wodisch
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

2.5Gb is fairly small to utilize 64bit programs like Oracle--4Gb should be the starting point, more if the application is very busy with lots of users.

However, this isn't the problem, nor is temp disk space the issue. The error code 12, out of memory, is a standard Unix errno value and it means that a request for additional local memory was denied. The problem is that the default fence (to prevent runaway programs) is only 64 megs for both 32 and 64bit programs. Change the two parameters maxdsiz=900 megs and maxdsiz_64=2000 megs. You'll need at least 1Gb of swap space to get you started.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
John Palmer
Honored Contributor
Solution

The 8.1.7 64bit installer requires that maxdsiz is set to at least 256Mb. You can get away with the default 64Mb for a 32bit install.

The vaguaries of Oracle... ;??)

Regards,
John
Simeon Fox
Advisor

Please see attached oracle notes addressing this issue.

Should sort your problem!