New Discussion юеВ

Messaging with snmp

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Messaging with snmp

Hi,

i have a network monitoring tool for looking at whether a group of servers are down or up. In the notification tab of the program, i can run a script when the event comes up.

i have another server that can send sms messages to people for any events. Now what i want to do is to communicate two servers. Sending the event with snmptrap and gettting the trap from sms server with snmptrapd daemon comes to my mind. But i got stuck in configuring snmptrapd.conf and how i'll send the message. Because i'll use it for my custom messaging.(what oid etc.)

Any other ideas and solution are welcome with nice points :)

Kenan.
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Messaging with snmp

Is there any particular reason to use SNMP traps to transfer the alerts between the two servers? You probably have some more flexible protocols available.

I would set up SSH key authentication so that the scripts launched by the network monitor server can remotely execute the necessary SMS sending commands on the SMS server.

MK
MK
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

thanks.monitoring machine is win2k3 but i should be possible do it and pass the parameters
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

For setting ssh key authentication use freesshd daemon for Windows - http://www.freesshd.com/

regards,
ivan
Jarle Bjorgeengen
Trusted Contributor

A suggestion would be to have he scripts send an e-mail to the sms-service, and have the sms-service parse the mail.

Rgds Jarle
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

thanks,
did it with ssh.Closing thread.