5289 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrate Users an Printers from solaris to HP-UX

M├бrcioAFM
Frequent Advisor

Migrate Users an Printers from solaris to HP-UX

Hello All,

I need to migrate users and printers from solaris to HP-UX 11v1.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Marcio
2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Migrate Users an Printers from solaris to HP-UX

What type of printers and how are they attached?
From Bill Hassell's frequent replies on printers, there are 3 types: local, remote and network.

For users, does solaris have something like /etc/passwd? Here is a thread that talks about that for HP-UX:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1282661
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrate Users an Printers from solaris to HP-UX

Hi,

1) Moving Users
Using local authentication, Solaris uses /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow - both are base for NIS authentication as well.

This combination is not really supported under HP-UX: The SHADOW implementation (which is a seperate product) is (was?) not supported in combination with NIS.
A manual adaption of the NIS-make is not too difficult, however. I did this for a customer some years ago (my solution included password and 'light-weight' aging).

Are there plans to completely drop the SUNs?
If not, you may keep your NIS-Master on a Solaris box - this works quite well together with the HPs. Using NIS-maps for automounting makes the things even more easier:
START
- add HPs these containing HOMEs to the automouter-map
- export the parent dir of the HOMEs
- Move the users to the HP boxes
- change the users HOMEs at the NIS master
DONE

2) Printing
In addition to Dennis' remarks:
This will depend highly on the Solaris version you have: the printing system had significant changes between 2.3 and Solaris10 ...

mfG Peter

The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"